Notifications
Clear all

In search of new amp suggestions?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@watkins86)
Topic starter  

not sure if Im in the section for this but here goes...I've been playing with a line6 spider II since I started from what I can tell line6 amps suck alot of people seem to second that, SO im looking into something new,I mainly play alot of heavy metal riffs but also like the classic crunch rock I've checking out the laney lionheart 5watt 12" apparently its pretty solid for cleans and crunch but does'nt fair well with heavy distortion.Think it would be a good choice along with some kind of pedal?

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Not familiar with this amp but I just went to Musicians Friend and read some reviews. The reviews look excellent. Maybe a little expensive for a 5 watter, but the idea is to actually be able to crank the amp to saturation live, probably sounds fantastic.

For Metal, just pick up a pedal. Even a Tubescreamer might send this amp over the top. :twisted:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

One of the best low priced amps for metal is the Roland Cube series (Cube 30x, cube 60x), read some reviews. I have the 30x and it's got a great clean channel as well as some great metal settings. It has a Rectifier modeler for really heavy stuff, and a Marshall stack modeler for older classic stuff. It's got some other modelers such as a Tweed, Acoustic etc.

Really good sounding metal amp.

ReplyQuote
(@watkins86)
Topic starter  

thanks for the input guys ya this cube-60 is interesting sounds pretty good I was kind of lookin forward to an all tube amp after playin a few but this is an interesting amp...hmm

ReplyQuote
(@dcross02)

I'm a tube amp guy. When you compare to solid state, I can't figure out why anyone would even consider anything different. Tube amp watts are twice as loud, so you don't need a lot to make it work.

In fact, I use a 15 watt Traynor WCV20WR, which is plenty enough loud for medium sized clubs. If you play for larger crowds, just stick an amp mic in front of it. Just remember that if you are gong to buy a tube amp, it sounds best when it is cranked up about two-thirds of the way. I had a 40 watt tube amp and most times I couldn't set it any higher than one before it was way too loud. Hence, my switch to 15 watts.

I love this amp and haven't found anything better. Easy to fit and carry around too!

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

I'm a tube amp guy. When you compare to solid state, I can't figure out why anyone would even consider anything different. Tube amp watts are twice as loud, so you don't need a lot to make it work.

This is the reason. Tube amps only sound better when they are pushed. Not many people I know have the luxury of turning their 30w or even 15w deluxe reverbs up to 8 or further and playing.

Secondly, they're much more difficult to record from, if you want to do home recording, you need more equipment.

Thirdly, solid states sound great (relative term, lol) through headphones.

Fourth, modelers on solid state amps allow you to use tons of tone choices with minimal equipment.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I'll throw in my two cents & recommend the Fender Super Champ XD. 15watt tube amp with modelling & effects. Plenty of vids on YouTube you can check out. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@ccwilliams)

I'll second the Fender Super Champ XD. Awesome cleans on channel 1, and the modelling on Ch 2 with various gain settings will give you a huge variety of good sounds. Also has some built in effects such as reverb chorus and tremolo - the reverb is very good.

ReplyQuote