Clear all

Need Reverb!

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone, I recieved my Epi Valve Junior a little while back and as much as I love it, it kinda bugs me that I can't use reverb! I've used my digitech rp80 through it and the sound I get is just incredible, and all I use is the basic clean amp setting with a bit of arena reverb. So I guess my question is that I've heard if you have two amps, you can basically run reverb through one amp while having the other amp distorted without getting that horrible pre-distortion modulation sound (essentially it creates a sort of effects loop). I've tried running a delay pedal in stereo with the 2 amps but I can only get slapback delay (which is cool but not exactly what I'm looking for) I've also read that building a built in reverb unit or effects loop into the amp is not very practical, so if anyone knows how I could achieve reverb, or how the stereo effects loop/reverb idea works, I would be very greatful.

I suppose I could just use a multi-fx unit, in which case I would probably want to upgrade to something like a Boss or POD XT because of the footswitch capabilities (I want something that I can switch between lead and rhythm channels without delay, maybe even be able to turn effects on and off), but I really enjoy the freedom of single pedals.

Steve-0

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Not sure if I am following you completely, but if you are mostly interested in a good Reverb, check out the Marshall Reflector Digital Reverb.

Marshall Reflector Digital Reverb

Little expensive, but I tried one of these out at the music store and was just blown away at the quality sound of the reverbs available. This is an awesome sounding pedal.

Listen to the sound clips, this pedal really sounds that good.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Wes, actually I've been looking at a few (the Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb seems really nice) but what I'm really curious about is whether or not it's feasible or even possible to create an effects loop for my EVJ combo, because it would be awesome if I could use the reverb or chorus while having the amp cranked, i've noticed that if you use a reverb pedal BEFORE distortion (i.e- using a reverb pedal and then plugging into a distorted amp) the sound gets really bad.

I've also found schematics for a reverb pedal here that I could build fairly easily:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

The only problem is the issue of the effects loop and/or where the reverb would go in the circuit.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I'm really curious about is whether or not it's feasible or even possible to create an effects loop for my EVJ combo, because it would be awesome if I could use the reverb or chorus while having the amp cranked, i've noticed that if you use a reverb pedal BEFORE distortion (i.e- using a reverb pedal and then plugging into a distorted amp) the sound gets really bad.
According to the Valve Junior modders at this site, it's not really practical to add an effect loop.
Looking at the schematic, it is a pretty basic circuit, but there isn't really an easy place to install the loop without adding a fair bit of circuitry.

Difficult, but not impossible (nothing is really impossible, but sometimes it's not worth the effort)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Alright, well I guess I'll just have to deal with the fact that there's no reverb, I mean the only time I wouldn't be able to use a reverb pedal is when I'm heavily driving the amp, I can still use pedals and such.

I really do like the sound of the amp, it sounds great and although there are alot of mods that can be done to it, I think it sounds really great stock.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yes, it is a great sounding amp as is, but an EQ pedal will really tighten the tone. And with a nice reverb pedal, that is about all you need.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote