Clear all

New toy-Heil Talkbox, but.......

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I fell for one of the classic blunders! The most famous is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia". But only slightly less well known is, "If you want a talk box, you need a segmented amplifier setup". I do not have a separate amp head and speaker cab.

I have a nice Crate amplifier that I am very happy with and we have gotten to know each other intimately; so selling it is not an option. I am thinking of adding a couple of 1/4" jacks in the wiring between the actual amp electronics and the speaker connection. To me, this would create a bypass over to the talk box which would allow my new device to work.

Anyone here ever try this? Successfully?

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

From what I remember you use a talkbox with a micrphone. The sound gets bypassed from your amp altogether and what you hear goes through the PA. Is this not correct?

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Right, the sound is pushed thru the tube (instead of your guitar amp speaker) which goes into your mouth which is in front of the microphone.

I'm just trying to get the sound into the tube

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

So, can't you run your guitar directly into the talkbox and go from the bypass output to the amp? Or, is there no bypass output on that talkbox?

Edit: Nevermind. I see that you need to go from the amp output. I wonder though how hot you can run into this thing. If it can take the juice, you could probably go from an external speaker out or you could install your own as you suggested. I would post this in the amplifier forum. You might get a better response there.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I wired up my own talkbox, basically I just soldered two 1/4" jacks between the amplifier output and the speaker input so I can play either with the talkbox or with the speakers. It works fine either way but it was my second amp so I wasn't concerned about wrecking the amp.

I've never used A/B box to select between the speaker and the talkbox because I've read it's not a good idea due to the high current/voltage that goes through the speaker/talkbox.

One thing to remember is to use common sense and be careful, the wiring in the speakers usaully deals with MUCH higher voltages and currents which can be dangerous.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote