Skip to content
Over-drive, Wah, an...

Notifications
Clear all

Over-drive, Wah, and Chorus..what order???

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

Just wondering. I have a Boss Blues Driver BD-2 pedal, a Cry-Baby Wah and a Boss Super-chorus pedal. I was wondering in what order from the guitar I should put them. I know that some pedals should be first from the guitar and might not have the most effect if they're not in the correct order. Right now I have the guitar going in to the wah, going in to the blues driver and then the amp, Just wondering where in the chain the chorus pedal should go. Thanks for any input. :)

Mike

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

overdrive >wah>chorus.

I wah the overdrive. not the other way around. it sounds good to me this way.
chorus, for me , is a color, so I use it to color the previous effects.

and if you had delay, that would go last.

general rule: tone shapers first. time shapers last.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

overdrive >wah>chorus.

I wah the overdrive. not the other way around. it sounds good to me this way.
chorus, for me , is a color, so I use it to color the previous effects.

and if you had delay, that would go last.

general rule: tone shapers first. time shapers last.
Thanks Dogbite. I'm going to try that out and thanks for the tip on tone shapers first, and time shapers last. :D

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

Will remeber that rule when the time comes that i shall invest in pedals!

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

there isn't one 'codified' way of doing which all guitarists follow - you gota link them in whatever order makes the sound you wanna get from them. dogbite is right - the general way of doing things is wah>overdrive>modulation (chorus is a modulation=type device, aong with phasers, flangers, and tremolo pedals). but you can also try it distortion/overdrive>wah>chorus. I often go this way if I want a more, um, extreme (yes, that is a technical term! honet...) sound. I like having the wah 'chop' (another technical term, really) the distorted sound, rather than having the distortion fuzz up the wah. but both ways produce interesting results.

another way of doing it is to split the chorus (or other modulation effect) off from the rest of your effects signal chain. If your amp has inputs/outputs for an FX loop, you could try linking to distortion and wah from guitar to amp (in either order), then feeding an FX out line from your amp to the chorus pedal and an FX lin line from chorus pedal to amp.

aside from that, you can pretty much connect things in whatever way you want, and this is what makes FX pedals a double-edged sword. they can be used very creatively and add to your overall sound, but its easy for an 'orthodox view' to form on how they should be linked, leading to everyone sounding the same (iff. we al rely heavily on pedals), and the more pedals you have, the more possible combinations of pedals you have so you can spend a lot of time which could be spent working on your chops fiddling with pedals instead. I hope that doesn't discourage you - experiment with different combinations, but don't be afraid to find your own way of doing things or of leaving some pedals out of the equation if you think it sounds better that way (and always note how you've set stuff up if you like how it sounds!).

hth

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

thanks scrybe. I agree with you. experiement. take notes so you dont forget what worked.
then let us know. :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Seems to me that if you run heavy distortion after a wah, you lose much of the effect of the wah. Muddies it up.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Seems to me that if you run heavy distortion after a wah, you lose much of the effect of the wah. Muddies it up.
Yes. There are many ways to fix that though, but a mod to the wah is necessary.

Definitely have chorus last though. Distortion/wah depending on your preference.

ReplyQuote