Clear all

What Would Be A Great Pickup For Me?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@lacoocoo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

have A Prs custom 22 with dragon II pick ups and i want to change the bridge pickup to something that will cut through the band and get that protest the hero sound or john petrucci or something with a lot of bite and is sharp. Right now my pickups sound to bassy and it doesn't really cut through when i'm jamming with my friend. He has a JS1200 with Dimarzio FRED pickup. I want that pick up but i'm not sure if it will have the same bite on my guitar....will it sound similar or..? Please answer that question or suggest any other bridge pickups that sound tight and sharp and can cut through nice. ( I also don't want something too heavy metal that has too much feed back but still something with a good heavy hitting sound) I want a very versatile pickup that is well balanced) I have a JSX amp. Any input or suggestions would be great thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Well the JS is basswood iirc, and yours is mahogany, so there may be at least a modest difference in tone between the two guitars based on the body woods. The other thing you'll need to keep in mind is output level - will the Fred be hot enough to match your PRS neck pickup? You'll need to have some idea of the neck pup's output in order to get a good match.

But, I'd first suggest playing around with pickup height and some EQing. I put Dimarzio pickups in my Artcore and find them VERY sensitive to how far they are from the strings. Try lowering the bass side just a bit and raising the treble side. I'm assuming you haven't already done this, of course. :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, get an EQ pedal and experiment with that first. You will probably be able to find the tone you want easily without changing pickups.

To have a tone that cuts through you need to boost your mids. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote