(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Whew, I was starting to get a complex! :D

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

I believe the song is ...

Knock On Wood - Various artists performed it (Otis Redding & Wilson Pickett to name two); Steve Cropper co-wrote it.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

You are correct Boogie. FYI, the original artist was Eddie Floyd. I caught a documentary about Stax records on PBS a couple of weeks ago, they put out some great music.

Play it, Boogie!

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

Ahhh... Eddie Floyd... thanks for the reminder. Stax did some great stuff. I'm working cleaning up a riff now. Hope to get it recorded and posted later today.

--Scott

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

Here's one I started working on a few days ago...

Boogie's Guess That Riff #40

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Is that Secret Agent Man? I don't remember who did it.

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

Nope. Not Secret Agent Man (by Johnny Rivers, as I remember). Great song, btw! My riff does resemble it a bit.

You have to go back a bit for my riff, which is quite similar to the original.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I remember a similar riff now, it's right there on the tip of my tongue but I can't get it.

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

A famous foursome covered at least three of this composer's songs.

EDIT: Oh... the original composer was a singer and guitar player too. :-)

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

I was researching some clues and I learned that Johnny Rivers of "Secret Agent Man" fame also covered this rockabilly song.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

OK, from your clues I think the famous foursome would be that fab foursome: The Beatles? And the composer would be Chuck Berry, since the Beatles did several of his songs. The only common Chuck Berry song I can find between The Beatles and Johnny Rivers is "Memphis." I've heard it before, but don't own a copy. I can't find a sample online where that riff is played, so I'm not sure.

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

Ooohh... yeah... I forgot that the Beatles covered Chuck Berry a few times too. :oops: I never really thought of Chuck Berry as rockabilly, but some of his stuff was in that vein. You are on the right track with era that this composer came from.

So... you've got the group.

A song clue: Using the words 'bee vomit' in the song title would probably have been a bad move. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Where's the slapping my head smiley?

Unfortunately I don't have that Beatles song, ironically I have every album they released after that album.

"Honey Don't" - Chet Atkins

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

Yup... Honey Don't by the Beatles. Originally done by Carl Perkins (and would have accepted him too)... though Chet Atkins did killer guitar work too :D. The Beatles version as pretty faithful to Carl's. BTW, did you know that John used to do the vocals to "Honey Don't" before Ringo did his version for his requisite one song on that album? I recently picked up a used version of the 'Beatles BBC Sessions' CDs recently and had to restart the song because it didn't sound quite right. :shock:

Sorry... kind of a long-winded way to say yes, but some cool history with this song.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Wow, I don't know if my answer should even count, I was thinking Carl Perkins, don't know how Chet Atkins came out. :oops:

Have you ever seen this page: http://www.stevesbeatles.com/songs/ ? It's got a ton of information about their songs like the date it was recorded and mixed, who sang lead and a bunch of little anomalies on the recordings.

I'll post something tomorrow night, I just can't think of anything right now. I think we're the only ones playing right now anyway.

ReplyQuote
Page 18 / 73