Clear all

A/B, C/D type chords.

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sagaciouskjb2)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, often times I've ran across a chord that's noted as A/B, or basically one note, a backslash, and the other note.

I was wondering, how are these chords constructed? I browsed through my chord encyclopedia, and can't even find an example of a chord like this, but I would like to know.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Slash chords add a bass note to the chord.
The chord itself is the same, in the example you gave you would play an A chord. The slash means instead of playing the Root of the chord as the lowest note you would play a B (in your example) as the lowest note.
One way to play A/B is:
X22220
XBEAC#E
I still have the A, C# and E of the original chord and I added a B for the bass note.

ReplyQuote
(@sagaciouskjb2)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ahh, all right. Thanks for the explanation. :)

ReplyQuote
(@shift)
Estimable Member

I've wondered about these type of chords before as well. I get the second slash is the bass note.

But are these always diatonic? Will you see, for example a C/Ab chord?, that isn't within the correct triad? or will you always see them as inversions of the same chord?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You'll see either.

If the note after the slash is a chord tone, it's simply an indication of the inversion: C/E is a C major chord in first inversion.

If the note after the slash is a diatonic note, you could write it differently... C/A could be written as C6 (or Am7), but the author wants the extra note in the bass.

And yes, sometimes you'll see a non-diatonic note in the bass, like C/Ab.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@shift)
Estimable Member

Thank you.

That clears a few things up for me.

ReplyQuote