Notifications
Clear all

alternate tunings question

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@paulmartin)
Topic starter  

As you may have guessed from the subject title I have a question about alternate tunings. I can understand dropped-d or dropped-c tunings or open tunings or any tuning that changes the intervals between the strings, because it could makes songs possible or easier to play. But i'm confused about tunings where each string is dropped down by an equal amount.

Jimi Hendix, Van Halen and Slash, among many other rock guitarists often tend to tune every string down half a step to Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb. Why is this such a common tuning? I can understand it if the song was in the key of Eb and thus required the low Eb but this rarely the case.

I once read that tuning down half a step makes the guitar sound dirtier and thus was an important element of Hendrix's unique sound. Why is this? I also heard that Slash tuned down for November Rain to make it easier for the singer, but why not just play all the notes one fret lower? The fact he tuned down in so many songs means this is unlikely.

Also, why is it that when guitars use this tuning the chord names and keys tend to remain the same. Take Sweet Child O'Mine. When played in standard tuning its in D. However Slash tunes down so it is actually C#. This would seem more awkward for the singer. Also in the Powertab, version even the bass is tuned down, which I thought wasn't possible, although im proabably wrong because I don't know much about bass. But the strange thing is that in the notation for both these songs is as if it was in standard tuning. A note at the 12th fret on the fourth string for example is shown as a D in the notation even though when tuned down it is actually a C#. Is this for simplicity, leaving the notation as if it was in standard tuning so it is easier to read? Going back to November Rain, I'm pretty sure its in C but according to any tabbed version its actually in B, when the alternate tuning is taken into account. Can someone confirm which it is?

Thanks for any help

(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

Tuning down makes the strings bend further, that's the prominent reason for it, there are always different inflections in each string when you change the tuning, so it would naturally cause a "dirtier" sound, but it's safe to suspect that a guitarist's initial intention is to loosen up their bends. I don't think that lowering the tuning would ever make it more awkward for the singer, singer's have a linear perspective of pitch, while guitarists have to deal with the awkwardness of an instrument that is designed to jump in fourths.

Tabs, and a lot of sheet music, show the chords as they would be played without the capo or alternate tuning, it's would be pretty damn aggaravating if they diddn't.

November Rain's in B

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Unless you're trying to play along with the recording, just play in standard tuning -- don't bother tuning down.

I play with a friend who finds it easier on his voice if we play a step lower. I could either think to myself, okay, now instead of D I've got to play C, etc. and do all that transposing, or I could tune the guitar down a step and play a D but a C will sound. I tune down a step. Then I don't have to transpose anything. That's the reason they show the chords as they do on Eb tuning too. As Snoogans says, it would be a royal pain if they didn't.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and Paul, welcome to the asylum for the musically insane.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@paulmartin)
Topic starter  

Yeah that makes sense, thanks

ReplyQuote