Clear all

Beginners theory lesson questions

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@tiffer)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hullo all, I check these forums a lot but not posted till now, just got some questions or kinda re-assurance stuff. I had a big theory session today and came accross a few things I was unsure about, I would be very grateful for some help.

On lesson - Musical genome project
Just wondering about the C major scale just after half way down the page, from what was explained, I seem to believe that the notes on the B string should be B C D or 0 1 3, although it says B C C# or 0 1 2, have I got it wrong? or just an error?

On lesson - Theory without tears
Just wondering about notation, it seems that to write all twelve notes of each string would make the notation use about 4 lines of the 5 lines of notation lines used, so to go through all the notes would use a lot of lines, like when you get to the next octave is there something to indicate that its beyond the 6th note or whether its on the next line? Is it down to interpretation? cos it seems not enough space for all the notes, do you choose to follow the note to the next string or go further down the fret ie instead of using the D# on A string fret 6 use D# on first fret of D string, do you just judge whether its more likely to go to the next string or not??

On lesson - Happy new ear
On the Seventh Heaven part, why do we arrange the G from the D root or rather rebuild the Gs so that the D note is on the bottom ie G is:
1st = D, IV = G, VI = B, instead of 1st = G, III = B, V = D,
Why re-arrange if can just look at the 4th (IV) of the root chord i.e. the 4th of D which is G and use G from that, is this here to explain why G is the 'resolution' to the D7s leading sound? Is it a simple way to work out the G chord when going for it further up the frets?

Umm not sure how well I explained that, sorry if a little long but thanks in advance for any help cheers, great site, amazing help since I found it, drastically improved my playing, and also reading all the stuff on the boards has been very useful, good stuff!

Cheers
Tiffer

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Musical Genome.........

Yes, that's an error - the note is correct, but the tab is wrong

Theory without tears
Basically it's down to choice. There are a couple reasons why you might pick one string/fret over the corresponding note on adjacent strings. Brian May, for instance, likes the sound of open strings, so plays those when he can. Playing closer to the 12 th fret rounds out the tone, presumably because you're bringing more harmonics into play.
Another reason may be that the fingering is important for the subsequent notes, making for a smooth transition from one part of the fretboard to the next.

Happy new ear
I think David was just using it to graphically show the relationship of the notes in D7 to G.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@tiffer)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ah, thanks v.much greybeard thats cleared things up for me

Tiffer

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Your welcome

GB

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote