Clear all

Chord Formations

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sullivandf)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've just recently started taking lessons and we're working through major and pentatonic scales. My question relates to chord formations that require notes that fall outside of the 7 positions of a scale. (add 9, add 11 for example.) Where are these positions and how do I find them? For example, what would the 9th position of a C Major scale be?

(This is my first post so please be kind.)

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

They don't fall outside of the scale, the cycle back round, so a 9th is the same as a 2nd and a 13th is the same as a 6th.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@sullivandf)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks! Is there a reason why it's not just called add2 or add4?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Because add2, etc, justs adds the 2nd to a basic chord (a Cadd2 is C, E, G, D - the 2nd). A 9th takes a basic chord plus 7th and 9th (C9 would be C, E, G, B, D). A 13th would take a 7th, a 9th, an 11th and a 13th - C, E, G, B, D, F, A - (this is impossible on a guitar so some of these notes can either be left out or be passed to other players - e.g. the bass - to "fill out" the chord)

If you go to my site (in my sig), you'll see tables laying the various formats out for you.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@sullivandf)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your help. I'll check out your pages.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Traditional Western harmony is also called Tertiary harmony, because chords are built in thirds. If you wanted more notes than a 7th chord, you'd keep going in thirds: 1-3-5-7-9. The notes would be (for Cmaj7) C, E, G, B, D.

The fact that the 9th is a D doesn't make it any different in sound than the 2nd - it's just the way we build chords. That D might be in the same octave as the C, the octave higher, or even in the octave lower - and it'd still be Cmaj9

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@321barf)
Estimable Member

yes the 2nd,4th and 6th notes become the 9th,11th and 13th

so -> 1 3 5 7 9 11 13 gives you the seventh chord (1 3 5 7) plus the 9,11,13 extensions which of course may be altered depending on what chord scale you are building the chord from (1 3 5 7 9 11 13 would be Ionian -- whereas 1 b3 5 7 9 11 13 would be melodic minor)

and like noteboat said it doesn't matter where the extension is in the voicing (that's a common misunderstanding) - if a 7th interval is present in your chord voicing then the 2nd,4th and 6th become the 9th,11th and 13th or in an add9 chord or 6/9 chord the third is present in an add9 chord so it can't be a sus2 chord and in the 6/9 chord also it can't be sus2 because the third is present there as well,so it's a 9th, and the 6th is still a 6th and not a 13th because there's no 7th in a 6/9 chord it's just 1,3,(5),6,9

ReplyQuote