Counterpoint ?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

OK so here is the whole story:

Today I was having a jam with my friend, and my teacher came by to give me my lesson and let him stay for the lesson. SO I had told my teacher about the piece I composed, and that we were arranging it etc etc, so he asks us to play it, and we do, the watered down version, with only two guitars, improvisation, climax, and ending.

So class class class, so when my teacher leaves, he tells me he really likes it, because it was really pleasantly surprising to his ear and he tells me I should add some ; voices that counter or respond to what I am doing; <-- when he said counter I had heard u guys talk about counterpoint and related it, so is that counterpoint ?

If that isnt counterpoint, then what basically is counterpoint?, just so I can have a basic grasp more or less of what it is ? thank you

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Well, there's counter-beat, eg Stevie Ray Vaughn. And there's call-and-response, where one guitar (or voice) plays a lick or a theme, and the other person plays something similar or complimentary. My favorite of this is old REO Speedwagon's "157 Riverside", but there are many others. This can happen at a showcase where two famous guitarists share a stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXXYreziwHQ around 6:30-7:00, ignore the rest of the 80s silliness.

I think your teacher is referring to call-and-response, which may have a different formal name.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yep, what you're talking about is call-and-response playing.

Counterpoint is entirely different - two (or more) instruments playing separate melodies at the same time.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I agree with Laz and NoteBoat. I don't think your teacher was talking about counterpoint which is the combining of independent melodic lines that sound good together, i.e, they harmonise well with each other but each has its own melodic identity. - If vocal melodies, they may have separate lyrics too.

ReplyQuote