Clear all

Counting 15/16 time?

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I am playing around with "Silent Lucidity" by Quennsryche. It is in 15/16 time. As far as speed, it only says slow rock (I would guess about 70 or 80 bpm with 1/16 notes getting one beat each) The song is mostly a mixture of 1/16 and 1/8 notes. But how do you count it.
Everything works ok counting 1,&,2,&,3,&,4,&,5,&... ect... until you get to numbers that are multiple syllables, then the count gets thrown off.
How would you count it?

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Nick gave me an idea in another thread.
I can count it as 4/4, 4/4, 4/4, 3/4 rinse repeat. (really 4/16, 4/16, 4/16, 3/16)
I can't really transcribe it to actual 4/4 time (1/16 notes will still get one beat because of the way the arrangement is written.
It is fingerstyle with overlapping bass line and melody line. (I am working with standard notation as well)
I suppose it could be transposed but it looks like it would be a major chore and a bit more than I want on my plate right now.
Any other ideas are more than welcome

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Wouldn't it be easier to count :

1 trip let 2 trip let 3 trip let 4 trip let 5 trip let

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks NETZOK, in my book it doesn't have them devided into triplets like that (has groups of 4) I will give that a try.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks BP,
I am considering a combination of sorts of your triplet feel and NEZTOKs.
How does:
123,223,323,423,523. sound, in the case of the first bar (tab above)
1*3,223,323,423,523 Second bar would be *23,223,323,423,523 with the open E string on beat one and held throughout.
Oh NO, 3rd,4th and 5th bars are 4/4 time and still all 1/16 notes or worse then back to 15/16.
I feel a headache coming on. (I might need a boy scout to untie my fingers when this is all over)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

When the top number of a time signature is 9, 12, or 15, a triplet feel is implied - it's called 'compound time'. So really, it's 5/4 with every beat being triplets.

I'd count it one-trip-let-two-trip-let-three-trip-let-four-trip-let-five-trip-let

The only other thing you need to know is where the second accent falls - it'll either be on beat 3 (the 7th 16th note) or beat 4 (the 10th 16th note) in each measure.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ok, triplets it is.Thanks all.
This brings up one last question.
It has no bpm listed, it just says "slow rock"
Would I count each triplet as one beat when I start up my metronome?
I am not familiar with this song. Some would say listen to a recording but I really like taking a sheet of music i am not familiar with and just play it.
It is kind of like opening a present :D

ReplyQuote