Clear all

Different fingerings

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Why does every different mode have a different fingering?

Well there are some I can understand, like the myxolidian, it has a flatted 7th, so instead of playing the maj7 u play the dominant 7th ( so it sounds good with 7th chords ^^ )

But since that is the definition I have, why then when I read it in standard notation it doesn't have the flatted 7th.

Wait, so then the myxolidian isn't exactly a C major scale starting on G ( or a I major scale starting on V ).

And, why don't I start it on G when I use it ??

My original question was :P :

Why are there different fingerings for each mode, can't I just use the Major Scale and start it from I or II or III or whatever?

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

(@almann1979)
Noble Member

this is a first - me offering theory advice :lol:
but hell, im gonna give it a go and wait to be corrected.

the modes must have different fingerings to include the same notes, it is as simple as that.

look at the notes in the C ionian position, and then look at the notes in the D dorian position etc, you will see they are the same.
but because you are starting on a different note, the fingerings must be different. if the dorian fingering was the same, the notes would be different.

Although the fingerings for C ionian, will be the same fingering for D ionian etc.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

There aren't specific fingerings for each mode. Anybody who tells you that to play "in mode X" you have to be in a specific position (or worse, that whenever you're in a specific position you must be playing "in mode X") doesn't have a clue what modes are, or how they're used.

Unfortunately, a lot of people fall into that category.

If you want to play in a specific mode, say C Dorian, you play the notes of C Dorian: C-D-Eb-F-G-A-Bb-C. You can get those notes in ANY position (except the 9th - because the only notes there are C#/Db, F#/Gb, B, E, and G#/Ab).

Likewise, you can start with any position, and play in almost any mode. Of the 84 modes - that's 7 modes in each of 12 keys - you can play 77 of them in any given position. Any random position will be a pretty good place to play roughly half of them, and a pretty poor place for the others - but all the notes are there.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Well there are some I can understand, like the myxolidian, it has a flatted 7th, so instead of playing the maj7 u play the dominant 7th ( so it sounds good with 7th chords ^^ )
But since that is the definition I have, why then when I read it in standard notation it doesn't have the flatted 7th.

It does the have flat 7th in standard notation. If it doesn't have the flat 7th, then it's not the Mixolydian mode. Maybe you're expecting to see a flat sign, but in G Mixolydian, the flat 7th is F, no flat required.

Wait, so then the myxolidian isn't exactly a C major scale starting on G ( or a I major scale starting on V ).

That's right, not exactly, but it's often seen as such because it has exactly the same notes, and therein lies a whole heap of potential confusion. Both are scales in their own right and the Mixolydian mode was recognised by theorists long before the Ionian mode (later called major scale) was admitted to the fold and given a posh name.

But NOW the major scale has become the dominant force in Western music and the Mixolydian mode can be seen (mostly by guitarists) as the 5th mode of the major scale, ( something it was never intended to be). It can be convenient to think of it that way in certain situations but just remember that if people play G Mixolydian while the key is C major, musically (or modally) speaking, they're NOT in the Mixolydian mode. They're just using the notes of C major in a fingering pattern that they've associated with G Mixolydian. It's a convenient way of targetting the root and chord tones of the V7 chord by playing notes of the C major scale based on its 5th (dominant) note, G - and giving it a label "G Mixolydian". In real G Mixolydian modal music, the key centre must be G, not C.

And, why don't I start it on G when I use it ??
Only you can answer that :D

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

It does the have flat 7th in standard notation. If it doesn't have the flat 7th, then it's not the Mixolydian mode. Maybe you're expecting to see a flat sign, but in G Mixolydian, the flat 7th is F, no flat required.

G myxolidian, is the supposed C Major Scale mode right ? ( though its not REALLY O_O )

But NOW the major scale has become the dominant force in Western music and the Mixolydian mode can be seen (mostly by guitarists) as the 5th mode of the major scale, ( something it was never intended to be). It can be convenient to think of it that way in certain situations but just remember that if people play G Mixolydian while the key is C major, musically (or modally) speaking, they're NOT in the Mixolydian mode. They're just using the notes of C major in a fingering pattern that they've associated with G Mixolydian. It's a convenient way of targetting the root and chord tones of the V7 chord by playing notes of the C major scale based on its 5th (dominant) note, G - and giving it a label "G Mixolydian". In real G Mixolydian modal music, the key centre must be G, not C.

Ok, so when Im playing the supposed G myxolidian what I am really playing is the C major scale with the flatted 7th, so, as you said, targetting the V7 tones.
Only you can answer that

lol no fair, I wasnt even playing the G myxolidian, because the key center wasnt in G :P.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Ok, so when Im playing the supposed G myxolidian what I am really playing is the C major scale with the flatted 7th, so, as you said, targetting the V7 tones.

Yes - but to be clear, the flatted 7th (F) is in relation to G. You're not playing the flat 7th (Bb) of C major. In relation to C, that note F is the 4th.
If the key centre was G, then F would be the flat 7th and you'd be in the Mixolydian mode, rather than the 'supposed' Mixolydian mode.

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ahhhh ok but it sstill sounds good since G is the dominant of C and they share some notes in the scale, plus it has that flatted F so it isnt a problem with the F chord ( if you are using a I IV V on C ) so its all good.

Ah, by a problem I mean dissonance, but it doesnt have to be a problem.... bwahahaha? O_O....

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote