Ear training.

15 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hello,
I dunno if i'm in the right section to post about this, but here i go.
Well ive been surfing on the net lately...and i found bout these things: Perfect Pitch training courses, on by Graham English, one other by Davis Lucas Burge...
Now... everyone around us says "this cant be gained, u just have it or not". Does someone know if these work for real?

And the Burge's Relative pitch course, in the other hand, is it good?

(@serickso)
Trusted Member

I know people who have done the Perfect Pitch program with varying degrees of success.  Some people really get close to it.  I know one person who was able to recognize an "F" whenever it was played or sing an F on the spot with no reference pitch - that's about all he got out of it.  It seems to me that natural ability is a factor but that doesn't mean that someone without much ability can't achieve a command of pitch.  I've never done any of those programs (just the ear training/musicianship we get in college).

ReplyQuote
(@sjt1316)
Trusted Member

As far as perfect pitch goes, the programs may help you develop the skill you don't have, but my understanding is that you have it or don't.  If you don't know you have it, these might help.

As far as relative pitch goes, my understanding is that it is something you can learn, and should if you want to grow in guitar and/or music in general...

--Steve
If you're enjoying it, are you still a struggling artist??
D~~n the man, save the Empire!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

hey, thx for replys.......still messed up...still nobody knows wheter the Perf P course do work or not. Confusing...

Yeh, i know, of course, how important is relative pitch, man..i was mostly asking if the Relative course by David was good and effective .....or any other suggestions?

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I don't know how effective the various programs around are, but I firmly believe that perfect pitch is a learnable skill.  Difficult, certainly, but the human mind is capable of a whole heck of a lot when you train it properly.

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Well, relative pitch is something all musicians should have and is always trainable.

If you have relative pitch and can recognise an F, you have something that is about as good as absolute pitch.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I agree with Helgi, if you have relative pitch and you can identify at least one tone(don't think it needs to be F necessarily) then essentially you can figure out the rest.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Yeah, of course any note will do.  I just said F because Serickso said that he knew someone who took a "Perfect Pitch" course and only learned to recognise F.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I knew that's what you meant I just wanted to be sure Arise understood and didn't think that he had to learn F.

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

And I knew that you knew that I knew....... ;D

Cheers.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

But when did you know that I knew that you knew?

By the way Helgi, I was reading a post in another forum about you and your band doin a CD. Is it finished? Anyway to hear some of the cuts?

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Well, we've cut the demo down to 10 tracks (out of 23) that will be taken to the record companies.  

The singers and guitarists are re-recording vocals and doubling some guitar tracks for those tonight.

They sound great (to me).  I don't think the band would be happy to have me stick them on the net just yet.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Well, we've cut the demo down to 10 tracks (out of 23) that will be taken to the record companies.  

The singers and guitarists are re-recording vocals and doubling some guitar tracks for those tonight.

They sound great (to me).  I don't think the band would be happy to have me stick them on the net just yet.

Helgi,

Great news.  Are they all originals or do you do some covers too?

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Luv to hear some when they are done.

Good luck with it.

ReplyQuote
(@evilspudboy)
Trusted Member

I know one person who was able to recognize an "F" whenever it was played or sing an F on the spot with no reference pitch - that's about all he got out of it.

For some reason that reminds me of this cartoon:

http://www.wonderdog.com/farside.htm

Except it would be:

la la la la F la la la la la F la la ...

Now look at them yo-yo's that's the way you do it you play the guitar on the MTV

ReplyQuote