Clear all

Enlighten me

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well first I would like to say Hey, I've been out for a while, I had Influenza or I think its Flu in english Idk, but I got out of the hospital and been really busy with school and stuff, but anyway:

I have a few questions that are not related to each other:

1. When playing over a 9 chord, for example C#9 I want to flatten the 7, what would this scale be called ?

2. WHy are m7b5 chords called half-diminished diminished chords are only 1-b3-b5 right ? and m7b5 is 1-b3-b5-b7? Then where does half-diminished come from ? o_O

3. And also can I make a piece where the melody is in 3/4 and the accompaniment (?) or however u call it is in 2/4 or 4/4???

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

1. Lots of scales work over 9th chords, and they each have different names. Over C#0 you could play C# mixolydian (C#-D#-E#-F#-G#-A#-B-C#) or any of several other scales,

2.A m7b5 chord is "half" diminished because of the seventh. A major 7th has a natural 7; a diminished 7 has a bb7. The 'half diminished' is halfway between, with a b7 over a diminished triad.

3. Yes. :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

C#0 < ?? Ok so thats basically the major scale with a b7, the dominant note, I was actually doing just that :D but I didn't know what to call it.

So a diminished 7 actually has a 6th ? 1-b3-b5-6 ( bb7)

Well I didn't have to.

The thing is that I was working on a melody and when I did it I just knew it was 3/4 because I started to count 1 2 3 4 and I started right after the 3 naturally ( I just started without thinking ) and I tried to start after the 4 and it felt wrong so what I did with the chords was that I just put a one time silence on every 1 time then 2 times of the chord then another silence and 2 times of the other chord and so on, its coming along quite nicely.

Do you know of any free program that I could download to write my stuff in there and listen to it to see if I'm writing it right, I'm pretty sure I'm right because I take my time with the rhythm and after I write it I count it out loud to see if it matches what I'm doing and it does.

Also do you know of any program in which I can write it and print it out, because my writing is ugly and I don't think alot of people would understand it.

Oh yeah and about writing chords, what can I do so that I don't have to write out the chord every single time, what I did was I wrote the chord ( in standard notation) once and then put the name of the chord on top and a line not a straight down line kinda like a / line like that / <----, cause I saw that in a book, but I'm not sure, someone might confuse that for a bar line.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Do you know of any free program that I could download to write my stuff in there and listen to it to see if I'm writing it right, I'm pretty sure I'm right because I take my time with the rhythm and after I write it I count it out loud to see if it matches what I'm doing and it does.

Also do you know of any program in which I can write it and print it out, because my writing is ugly and I don't think alot of people would understand it.

There are a couple:
Powertab

Tuxguitar

Powertab has its own format and tuxguitar uses the format created by GuitarPro - neither of which is compatible with the other (although both can import and export various formats, to allow conversion). Both formats have huge libraries of tab. Download both apps and see which you prefer for editing.

Both can output to printer and to MIDI, so playback is dependent on the quality of the MIDI you have available. GuitarPro uses the RSE engine for MIDI, which produces a much better quality playback.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

C#0

Sorry, that was a typo - should have been C#9 :)

Your notation is right for the repeated chords. A '/' is used in rhythm charts as a placeholder for the beat - if you want to leave the inversion up to the performer, you use slashes for every beat of the chord; if you want to specify, you write it out the first time (with the chord symbol above the written out chord) and use slashes for the rest of the duration.

As far as I know, the free notation programs out there don't handle music in multiple parts unless it's simple. If you want to do something more complicated, like putting one instrument in 3/4 and another in 4/4 (or putting instruments in different key signatures, etc) you have to spring for one of the big guns: Finale, Sibelius, etc. They're in the $600 range, or about $350 if you qualify for the educational rate.

(Tip: both Finale and Sibelius will give you the educational rate if you belong to MENC - the Music Educator's National Conference - or MTNA, the Music Teacher's National Association. You're looking at a $250 discount on the software, which is more than the annual membership in either organization :) )

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote