Skip to content
G Dorian 5th fret/6...

Notifications
Clear all

G Dorian 5th fret/6th string: which C to use?

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

My guitar teacher is trying to have me learn the G major dorian scale (A, B, C, D, E, F#, G) using what seems to be different from the books I have and other reliable sources. He wants me to play (middle finger) A at the 5th fret/6th string, (ring finger) B at the 7th fret/ 6th string, then stretch like heck (index finger) to play the C at the 3rd fret 5th string. I see it mostly published as using your pinky to play that C at the 8th fret/6th string. I mean, come on, my fingers are already right there.

I've analyzed the scale and it does not make me do any more shits of the thumb and his way is harder. At practice I told him how I've seen others doing it and he said “yea, you could do it that way but just do it this (his way). That's a good stretch and it's good for you. Don't try to make everything so easy. Just work at it.”

My mind says, if all things are equal, use the easier method to get the same results. A year ago I mapped out all the frequencies for notes on the fretboard and his C and my C are the same frequencies/same octave. Granted, there may be a slight difference from pressing the string too hard or light. But they are the same.

Does anyone out there agree the C's are the same?

Anyone disagree?

Which C should I be playing, his at the 3rd fret or mine at the 8th? I have practice Wednesday so I'm hoping to get some feedback. Thanks!

Dennis

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

They are the same note, yeah... but I'll bet he's trying to get you to stretch for other reasons.

Any scale can be played in any position if you stretch. He's got you working from a 3rd position G scale, which requires the 1st finger on the 3rd fret for G and C; it falls more naturally on the 4th fret, where you get the F# and B.

The thing about scales and the fretboard is that outside the open position, each scale really only has one position where you can do two octaves without a stretch or position change. Since you don't want to be stuck on the 2nd position for the modes of G (4th finger on that A note), he's having you stretch.

He'll probably get to 'your' fingering as you move up the neck.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

he might also be trying to help incorporate two modes into one to help bind them together that's kind of a stretch though :lol:

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

can you really mix two modes though?

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm just thinking I should be able to use whichever I feel is right for me since they are the same frequency. Yea, I'll use the 10th fret C later in the Phrigian and Lydian modes later. I know that, but I think I should be given the freedom to use either. We'll see, I have a lesson with him in 2 hours.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

modes was the wrong word, I meant fingerings for two different modes, I did say it was a stretch

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

stretches do help a lot, ive been practicing a piece for about 8 months (classical, v. difficult) and it has tons of them and now i can stretch my fingers a lot easier..

its not the 'ability to stretch' its the strength of your fingers, its really great becayse thats all you really need, fingers with strength for precision and stability, if your fingers shake with the agony of stretches you cant play that piece good, stretches build strength, which (you might not think so, but) helps your playing a lot.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, Rob and I did not play the Ionian or any of the modes. We just worked on me soloing on the first two strings while he played a tune in G. I still think I'll learn it the way most books have it.

Somewhat off topic. I saw a scale listed as Dorian starting on the A string 6/fret 5 and ending on the A string 2/fret 10. To me that may be technically right starting and stopping on the A as Dorian but the diagram starts to Phrigian, Lydian and Mixolydian territory. I like the idea of staying on a box when being taught then let loose after learing all the boxes. Maybe that's just me.

ReplyQuote