Clear all

Help with turn arounds

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@squidward)
Topic starter  

Hi Everyone
Can anyone help me with turn arounds? I can play 12 bar blues and I'm aware of the theory as I play harp and play turnarounds all the time but what do I play when I'm playing guitar?
Is there a standard formula for turnarounds? Way back when I used to ride my pterodactyl to guitar lessons I remember learning a sequence of chords something like a diminished chord then a seventh and so on till the end of the turnaround and you jump back on the I chord.
Does this make sense?? If anyone could point me in the direction of some tabbed or notated turnarounds I would be very greatful

Q How do you get the musician off your front porch?

A Give him the money and take the pizza

"It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."
- Jerry Garcia

Have A nice Life
Squidward

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

There are a bunch of standard ways of getting to it, but usually you end the turnaround on the V and it makes you start back on I.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@squidward)
Topic starter  

Hi Ricochet
My problem isn't about when to play the turnaround it's what to play.
Thanks for your reply though

"It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."
- Jerry Garcia

Have A nice Life
Squidward

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Best advice I can give you is to listen to lots of blues. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

An example of a common blues turnaround

--5--5-5-5-5-5-5---------
-----------------------------
-------------------------------
--5--5-4-4-3-3-2----0-1-2---
-------------------------------
---------------------------------

(the part before the 0 1 2 is played at the same time

Varation on that

--5-----5---5-----5--5----5----5-----------------
------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------
--5--5------4--4-----3--3-------2-------0--1--2-------
---------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------

Those are both for the key of A - they can be moved to any key though if you just figure out a few things.

One, is that the turnaround is starting on the 5th fret of high E, which is A. So you know it starts on the I note. The second thing is that before you do the "0 1 2" part, the last note ends on the 2nd fret of D, which is the E note. So you know that part ends on the V. Now you come to the "0 1 2" phrase, and you know it starts on the D note, which is the IV in the key of A.

So, if you want to do the same turnaround in say, the key of E, you could start it at the 12th fret of high E (and of the D string) as this is "E" which is the I. That first part will end on the B (ninth fret of D) which is the V. Ending "da da daaaa" phrase will start on the IV which is A, 7th fret of D (7 8 ninneee)

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote