Clear all

Hey New Here and need some insight on a riff/progression

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@norlo)
Topic starter  

Hey New Guy here!

First off I'm going to apologize in advance if this pops up twice for some reason I accidentally clicked submit when I meant to preview and I got it like 1/2 done... so here we go:

I was analyzing this song I used to play and the progression for the bridge/solo. It goes like this:

e|-----------------------------------------------------
b|---------------------------------------------5---5---
g|---------------------------------------------5---5---
d|---------5-----------5-----------------------5---5---
a|------3----------2------1p0------------------3---3---
e|---2---------2----------------------3---3------------

Heres a link to the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oJHPDujkNo (the part I am concerned with begins @ 2:23)

So I know it's G Major and the solo is G Major Pentatonic (G Major pentatonic Blues?). BUT I am not seeing something, upon breaking it down I know the first 3 notes G B D are a G major arpeggio. Then F# B D? I don't know what that is implying... G7? Bm/F#? After that the A# A G G throws me for another loop and it resolves to C. I guess I'm just curious as to how someone would approach a solo to this in the context of the recording. My general line of thought is to target G major chord tones throughout the riff and then target C Major tones over the C Chord, but something is not meshing... the flat 5(A#) is throwing me off. A fresh perspective would be good. I'm sure it's something simple and I'm just not seeing it. Hope it all makes sense I'm pretty tired and am about to catch some z's.

Anyways, this seems like a cool forum and people seem to be intelligent, and I look forward to talkin music with y'all.

Thanks!

(@alangreen)

Welcome to the party.

It's nothing radical - G Major throughout. The second chord is an inverted Bm with the 5th - F# - in the bass so that you have a nice smooth bass line rather than it jumping about all over the place. This isn't a new trick by any stretch of the imagination. The Bb -> A is an unimportant (although it creates tension) Bb passing note moving to imply an open 5th in the dominant D chord (the notes D and A) which helps to re-establish the tonal centre in G (by creating a V-I (perfect) cadence in G) before moving on with the C chord.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@norlo)
Topic starter  

OK thanks for the insight, I know its in G Major but for me the problem is if I am playing over it I'm looking for "chord notes" to harmonize the scale with (like targeting G, B or D over a G chord) and am having trouble finding them. So if I were to look at is a as chord progression, it would be G, Bm, D, G, C...? I guess that's what I was having trouble seeing.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote