Clear all

I don't know how to explain it.

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@argus)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

You just know this is going to end well.

So I've been intrigued by this old David Byrne song (from about 1997). It's called "Amnesia", and it's off his "Feelings" album. If you don't know the song, get it, it's good. I'll probably put up a midi in a few days, as I'll be moving house tomorrow and won't have the net until next week sometime.

Now, the chords are as follows:

(Verse/main theme)
| F# | D | F# | D |
| F# | D | F# | % |

(Bridge)
| Bb | D | Ebm | % |
| B | % | C# | D |

and it just alternates between the two, kind of like A-A-B-A.

Now it occurred to me just today that it could be explained with the use of a three tonic system (three keys, each two tones apart). This gives you the three keys F#, D, and Bb. We can now label the chords like so:

(I/F# = I of F#)

(Verse/main theme)
| I/F# | I/D | I/F# | I/D |
| I/F# | I/D | I/F# | % |

(Bridge)
| I/Bb | I/D | vi/F# | % |
| IV/F# | % | V/F# | I/D |

Would this be the best way to explain such a progression? It would probably make more sense if you had the melody to go along with it, but I can't really help out there until I can put the midi together.

I had another idea as to how to explain it:

(Verse/main theme)
| I/F# | bVI/F#m | I/F# | bVI/F#m |
| I/F# | bVI/F#m | I/F# | % |

(Bridge)
| ? | bVI/F#m | vi/F# | % |
| IV/F# | % | V/F# | bVI/F#m |

This way it seems a little simpler (F# with chords borrowed from the parallel minor), but it doesn't explain the Bb at the start of the bridge.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? It's driving me batty, and not in the Jamaican sense.

(@alex_)
Honorable Member

its confusing when you use roman numerals and the actual note of the inversion..

this is ok ... D/F#

and (we are in A) ... IV/b

but like IV/F# its just a mix that seems harder to work out for some reason. lol.

ReplyQuote
(@argus)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I mean IV/F# as the IV of F# (B).

Did a cheap and nasty .mid version of the song in Anvil Studio, which I will upload as soon as I find somewhere to put it.

ReplyQuote
(@argus)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Found somewhere to stick it.

It's really just to show how the melody goes together with the chords. Feel free to open it up and rip it apart.

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/argus%20enabler/amnesia.mid

ReplyQuote