8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@screaminside)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hi ....
i ve two questions today .
1- what the name of inversions chords? ex,,c major traids are (c,e,g) the 1st inversoin is (g,c,e).
is it a g chord ? or its called a c major inversion 1?
2- in the Accidental notes how to know if its sharp or flat ? like in e minor why the f# is f# not gb ?
and thank u

(@minotaur)
Noble Member

hi ....
1- what the name of inversions chords? ex,,c major traids are (c,e,g) the 1st inversoin is (g,c,e).

It's still a C major chord. Cmaj is C E G in any order.
2- in the Accidental notes how to know if its sharp or flat ? like in e minor why the f# is f# not gb ?
and thank u

They're called enharmonics, 1 note with 2 names. I'm not quite sure when you use 1 name over another. It may have something to do with the name of the key and the key signature. If the key has flats, you would use Gb, not F#. If the key has sharps, you would use F#, not Gb. I'm sure someone will correct me. In that case, ignore me. :wink:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

hi ....

It's still a C major chord. Cmaj is C E G in any order.

A C triad with E in bass is first inversion. With G in bass, second inversion.
and thank u

They're called enharmonics, 1 note with 2 names. I'm not quite sure when you use 1 name over another. It may have something to do with the name of the key and the key signature. If the key has flats, you would use Gb, not F#. If the key has sharps, you would use F#, not Gb. I'm sure someone will correct me. In that case, ignore me. :wink:

That's the general idea. There are always exceptions, but let's ignore them for a change, eh? :roll:

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I think of them as playing "leap frog"...

CEG = root
EGC = 1st inv. C leap frogs over E & G
GCE = 2nd inv. E leap frogs over G & C.

I know... only me. :roll:

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

I think of them as playing "leap frog"...

CEG = root
EGC = 1st inv. C leap frogs over E & G
GCE = 2nd inv. E leap frogs over G & C.

I know... only me. :roll:

That's great! In terms of music theory, any memory aid that works is good.

The one "special case" that might be worth noting is that second-inversion triad. Very often you will see the second-inversion I chord right in front of a V chord -- and in lots and LOTS of online transcriptions you will find no distinction between the two. It's worth some ear training to be able to tell them apart.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Ah! You could see a Cmaj and play it root not realizing it's 2nd inversion, and wonder why it sounds odd compared to a recording. These songwriters are shrewdies.

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Ah! You could see a Cmaj and play it root not realizing it's 2nd inversion, and wonder why it sounds odd compared to a recording. These songwriters are shrewdies.

And this is why music theory, ear training etc. matter -- they give you the tools to figure out why it sounds odd, and how to fix it.

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

and thank u

Rule 1. Any key can only one note of each name. Thus a chord can not have both A and A#. Rule 2. You use the key which has fewer sharps or flat. Thus we use Bb (Bb_C_DEb_F_G_ABb) with 2 flat notes (Bb and Eb) rather than the "enharmonic" A# which would have 10 #s (too lazy to write it all out, 3 notes have double sharps).

F# has 6 sharps and Gb has 6 flats so you might see either.

Here's a table you might find useful.
Key Minor Signature 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th
C major A minor C D E F G A B
G major E minor # G A B C D E F#
D major B minor ## D E F# G A B C#
A major F# minor ### A B C# D E F# G#
E major C# minor #### E F# G# A B C# D#
B major G# minor ##### B C# D# E F# G# A#
F# major D# minor ###### F# G# A# B C# D# E#
F major D minor b F G A Bb C D E
Bb major G minor bb Bb C D Eb F G A
Eb major C minor bbb Eb F G Ab Bb C D