Clear all

Just another "what key is this riff in"-thread xD

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@naviens)
Topic starter  

Hi all,

My guitarlesson today was cancelled, and I might have to wait for three weeks before I get my next one, so I thought I'd ask something that I've been breaking my head over the past couple of days here.

During a jam session with a guitarist I had some time ago, the guitarist showed me this riff:
G---------12-----11---------------------10----------------
D--------------------13-12--------------------------11----
A-12-12--------------------13----10 10-------9-9--------
E------------------------------------------------------------

I can usually tell what key a riff is in, but this time, I had no clue... I took it back home and wrote out the notes:
A - G - F# - Eb - D - Bb - G - F - F# - C#

This only tells me it must modulate since no key I know of has a G, a F# and an F (well, none except for D blues, but this sure isn't D blues :lol: ). I tried splitting it in three logical pieces by putting double "-" between what I think are the different keys.
A - G - F# - Eb - D - Bb -- G - F -- F# - C#

The first bit looks like it's in some A diminished scale (the locrian of the harmonic minor (locrian #6) has these notes). The second and the third bit could be a tritone substitution of a V - I progression.

Am I on the right track? If so how can you get from the A diminished scale to the T(V) - I ? It doesn't look very logical to me, or doesn't it have to be in order to work? I hope you guys can help me out!

Thanks in advance,
Naviens

PS: if anyone's wondering, yeah, I'm a bassist :lol:

(@johnin510)
Trusted Member

It is not G Harm. Min. (G A Bb C D Eb F#)......

You got me...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

What chord progression is the guitarist playing while you're cranking away on your riff?

ReplyQuote
(@naviens)
Topic starter  

Hi guys,

Well, he plays that riff and I uhm... look, occasionally double his riff or some of the notes in it and try to figure out what the hell the key could be xD Btw, it does go into a Gm chord progression after a while ( Gm - Cm - Dm - F ) but I don't think that really matters...

Thanks again,
Naviens

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

A - Bb - C# - D - Eb - F - F# - G

or

A - A# - C# - D - D# - F - F# -G

It's like 75% chromatic. There are way too many possibilities...

ReplyQuote
(@naviens)
Topic starter  

Hi Neztok,

Maybe, maybe not. I'd say it's chromatic if the notes would go like G - Gb - F, but in this riff it's like G - Gb - Eb and then much later in the riff there's an F. That isn't really chromatic is it?

A thought that occurred to me yesterday was that it could be something like this:
A7b9#9 - Ab7 - G7 - F#

A logical T(V) - V - T(V) - I progression. The riff plays a quite dissonant diminished scale over the first chord, does nothing with the second chord and then plays some chord-tones over the third and the last chord. What do you guys think? Did I solve my own mystery or did I make even more now? xD Please post your thoughts.

Thanks,
Naviens

Edit: maybe I should mention I got this idea when reading you could use diminished scales over 7b9#9 chords.

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

It makes the most sense as b7-1-7-b6-5-b3-1-b7-7-b5 in G harmonic minor.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote