Notifications
Clear all

key and scales

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@codeword)
Topic starter  

which key are these chords in and what scales could i use to improvise over them. sorry im really bad at theory so i dont know but i want to learn and my band are playing a song using these chords so perfect time for me to learn a few scales to improv with
G#m C#m D#

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Almost certainly in the key of G# minor (but there are other less likely modal or chromatic possibilities)
You could improvise safely, using the G# pentatonic minor scale - but again there are other more interesting (but riskier) options.

ReplyQuote
(@codeword)
Topic starter  

Almost certainly in the key of G# minor (but there are other less likely modal or chromatic possibilities)
You could improvise safely, using the G# pentatonic minor scale - but again there are other more interesting (but riskier) options.

what are the more interesting options?

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

what are the more interesting options?
Basically every minor-type scale based on G# will be more interesting than the minor pentatonic, e.g., the blues scale, the natural minor, harmonic minor, etc.

You just have to be aware of where the notes of your scale can clash with the notes of the current chord and take appropriate action. (usually evasive in my case :D)

For example, suppose you play the natural minor scale (G# A# B C# D# E F# G#). You've got two extra notes at your disposal, but whenever the chord D# is being played, it sounds the note F## which isn't in your scale. (F## (or Fx) means F double sharp which is just G but named in accordance with music theory).

Playing your scale note (F#) at the same time will produce a clash with the chord note (F##). If you don't know what you're doing you'll produce uncontrolled clashes continually and everyone will know about it. If you do know what you're doing, however, you can avoid those clashes, or even exploit them to great musical effect.

ReplyQuote