Clear all

Latin type sound

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Last week my friend who hasn't Been playing long came over for a jam.

He played different chord progressions without telling me what it was, and I tried to jam over it by ear, so we both benefitted from the night.

On one progression, I found myself playing the notes of c major scale, and it sounded very Latin like. When i asked what key it was in, he said "I think d minor", because that was the first chord of the progression.

At the time I thought it sounded cool and i jumped to the conclusion I must be playing d Dorian.

However, the day after it occurred to me that I shouldn't get that sound from a Dorian solo, and my friend can't remember what the progression was.

I have struggled to recreate it, but I would love to be able to get that sound on purpose.

I just wonder, does anybody have an idea what the progression might have been, or what sort of mode I might have been using?
I know it's a long shot but I have no idea.
Thanks, Al

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

(@davidhodge)

A number of Latin songs (think Santana) use the dorian. If you were using G, then it might have been like "Evil Ways," where most of the progression is Dm and G major with an occasional pass at the A chord (at which point D melodic minor would work nicely).

Obviously without hearing you two this is pure speculation! But it is very common in Latin rock type of music.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@neztok)
Estimable Member

Try droning the low E note while practicing E Dorian. That should help bring out the Dorian sound.

ReplyQuote