Looking for scale f...

Notifications
Clear all

Looking for scale formulas...ALL Scales

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I was wondering id there was a site that had all the formulas listed for all the scales. I am trying my luck with theory again and and want to figure out various keys in various scales. For instance I know the Pentatoninc minor scale is 1 b3 4 5 b7. Could I get the formulas for all the scales? I found the whole step/half step stuff online but how would I know what was a flat or a sharp? the w w h w etc. doesn't tell you that..or does it?

In anyway, I would like the umbered formula since that is what I understand the most.

Thanks

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

They're not listed all in one place, but the formula is listed on my site (link in sig) in the viewer layout for each scale... although I could do a database dump of those columns for you if that's easier?

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Are you looking for all scales as relative to the major scale?
THe short suggestion: Learn the major and minor scale with two variations each - in major,mixolydian - the major with a flatted 7th is the only one I care about thus far

The longer answer:
I think part of the answer to you is this:
We have eight intervals in a major scale - not sure about some of the english names here...
1 - pure prim(?) - same notes
2 - large second - two seminotes
3 - large third - 4 semiotes
4 - pure quart - 5 seminotes
5 - pure fifth - 7 seminotes
6 - large sixth - 9 seminotes
7 - large septim - 11 seminotes
8 - pure octave - 12 seminotes

When you refer to flatted or sharp, I take it you refer to it as relative to these intervals - in a minor scale there are there semitones between the root note and the third. To me it seems unecessary complicated to write a normal minor scale as 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 8 - if you are about to memorize six-seven scales as relative to the major scale - you might as well dedicate your time to learn standard notation - IMO

Not sure if this helps tho' :)

LaRS

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Are you looking for all scales as relative to the major scale?
THe short suggestion: Learn the major and minor scale with two variations each - in major,mixolydian - the major with a flatted 7th is the only one I care about thus far

The longer answer:
I think part of the answer to you is this:
We have eight intervals in a major scale - not sure about some of the english names here...
1 - pure prim(?) - same notes
2 - large second - two seminotes
3 - large third - 4 semiotes
4 - pure quart - 5 seminotes
5 - pure fifth - 7 seminotes
6 - large sixth - 9 seminotes
7 - large septim - 11 seminotes
8 - pure octave - 12 seminotes

When you refer to flatted or sharp, I take it you refer to it as relative to these intervals - in a minor scale there are there semitones between the root note and the third. To me it seems unecessary complicated to write a normal minor scale as 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 8 - if you are about to memorize six-seven scales as relative to the major scale - you might as well dedicate your time to learn standard notation - IMO

Not sure if this helps tho' :)

LaRS

Thanks Larsko...what I want to do is create sort of a POSTER to put up where I practice. This way if I need a scale I just look at the poster, find my root and apply the formula...I am not actually going to write each one out in every key. For example, on my poster I would have:

Pentatonic Minor: 1 b3 4 5 b7
Dorian: etc

It's not only a learning tool for me but also a time saver. I have books with all the scales in them but everything I need a scale I have to dig out the book, look up the scale, then transpose my key. This is just one quick look and in seconds I have the scale I need in the key I need it.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The Guitar Grimoire "Scales and Modes" book has that information for most scales.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Almost all scales can be thought of as a combition of 2 or more of the 6 basic tetrachords with a joining interval.

Pentatonic and other scales with more or less than 8 notes use modifications of the basic tetrachords.

The 6 basic tetrachords are:

Major: W - W - H
Minor: W - H - W
Phrygian: H - W - W
Whole: W - W - W
Dom. Harmonic Minor: H - W+H - H
Chromatic: H - H - H

The major scale, for example, is two major tetrachords joined with a whole step: W - W - H - W (Joining interval) - W - W - H

The natural minor is a minor tetrachord + a phrygian tetrachord joined with a whole step: W - H - W - W (joning interval) - H - W - W

Any mode, all 3 of the minor scales, all of the pentatonic scales, and quite a number of other less common scales are describable as combinations of these 6 tetrachords.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Hi Mike
Here are a few to start off your poster
Major = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
natural minor - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
harmonic minor - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7
Melodic minor - 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7
Ionian mode - same as major
Dorian mode - 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
Phrygian mode - 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Lydian mode - 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7
Aeolian mode - same as natural minor
locrian mode - 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7
Pentatonic major - 1 2 3 5 6
Pentatonic minor - 1 b3 4 5 b7
Blues scale - 1 b3 4 b5 5 b7
Whole tone - 1 2 3 #4 #5 #6
Chromatic - 1 b2 2 b3 3 4 #4 5 b6 6 b7 7

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Hey Fretsource! Thanks a BUNCH! You typed that quick!! You got most of the common ones which is PERFECT! I really appreciate it! My life just got easier...YEA RIGHT! :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Glad to help :D
Oops - just seen I forgot the mixolydian mode - 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

The way i look at it, the w w h thing does tell you wnat you need to know.

it's whole, whole, half, whole, whole, whole, half for the major scale.

now how does it tell you what you need to know? the way I do it is by picturing a piano in my head, or you can find a picture of one. so if you start on middle C for example, there is a black key in between middle C and the next note which is D.The black keys are the halves. Note that there is no black key in between E and F and between B an C. Those intervals would be halves.

So the Key of C would be: C (the start point), then whole step up which is D, then whole step up which is E, then half step up which is F (because there is no black key), then whole step up which is G, then whole step up which is A, then whole step up which is B, then half step up which is C again.

the key of D would be: D (the start point), whole step up which is E, then whole step up which is F# (because F is only a half step away from E), then G (because G is a half step away from F#), then A (because A is a whole step up from G), then B (because B is a whole step up from A), then C# (because C is only a half step up from B and C# is a whole step up), then back to D because D is a half step up from C#.

Get it?

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I'm looking in a book that I have right now. it says:

the step pattern for the pentatonic scale is Whole, Whole, one and one half, whole, one and a half.

The minor pentatonic scale pattern is: one and a half, whole, whole, one and a half, whole.

The diminished scale is: Whole, half, Whole, Half, Whole, Half, Whole, Half

The harmonic minor scale is: whole, whole, whole, whole, half, one and a half, half

The melodic minor cales: whole, half, whole, whole whole, whole, half

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I just bought a poster at Wal-mart the other day in the Stationary department that has all the scales on it. Did not cost too much. It has pictures of the fretboard and variations of each scale. I have not used it as much as I should have. I am also looking to getting more into theory and really figuring out what I am doing and need to be doing to be better.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Here are some more for your library (that you'll probably never use). -

Algerian
1,2,b3,4,#4,5,b6,7

Altered
1,b2,b3,b4,b5,b6,b7

Arabian
1,2,b3,4,#4,#5,6,7

Augmented
1,#2,3,#4,#5,7

Balinese
1,b2,b3,5,b6

Hawaiian (minor scale)
1,2,b3,4,5,6,7

Japanese
1,b2,4,5,b6

Leading Whole Tone
1,2,3,#4,#5,#6,7

Super Locrian
1,b2,#2,3,#4,#5,b7

Egyptian
1,2,4,5,b7

Enigmatic
1,b2,3,#4,#5,#6,7

Spanish Gypsy
1,b2,3,4,5,b6,b7

Its taken me a year and change of dedicated practice just to get down the major and major pentatonic scales in all keys...so you have quite a bit of work to do. : ) If youre interested in jazz or anytime you're looking for crazy scales, just whistel. Its my metier. : )

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member

Here are some more for your library (that you'll probably never use). -

Algerian
1,2,b3,4,#4,5,b6,7

Altered
1,b2,b3,b4,b5,b6,b7

Arabian
1,2,b3,4,#4,#5,6,7

Augmented
1,#2,3,#4,#5,7

Balinese
1,b2,b3,5,b6

Hawaiian (minor scale)
1,2,b3,4,5,6,7

Japanese
1,b2,4,5,b6

Leading Whole Tone
1,2,3,#4,#5,#6,7

Super Locrian
1,b2,#2,3,#4,#5,b7

Egyptian
1,2,4,5,b7

Enigmatic
1,b2,3,#4,#5,#6,7

Spanish Gypsy
1,b2,3,4,5,b6,b7

Its taken me a year and change of dedicated practice just to get down the major and major pentatonic scales in all keys...so you have quite a bit of work to do. : ) If youre interested in jazz or anytime you're looking for crazy scales, just whistel. Its my metier. : )

I think I'll try those scales, just for the fun of it. :P

ReplyQuote
(@llynix)
Eminent Member

Google groups to the rescue!!

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.makers.guitar/msg/68f30e9a9c858205?hl=en &

Llynix

One man, one guitar, one website, one ditty a day. - http://onedittyaday.com

ReplyQuote