Music/Guitar Theory

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 RoS
(@ros)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Where do i start? I know absolutely nothing about theory, and want to learn some.

i don't want to become a theory freak, but just want to know enough to go professional.

what should i start and end with?

(@scott)

If you are still in school, take a theory class; they should offer it in high school and almost definitely do in college. Don't be afraid to learn too much, I doubt it can really hurt. Just one year of theory in high school will accelerate your composition skills unbelievably.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Check out some of the lessons right here at Guitarnoise. Maybe take in a basic chord construction or theory lesson. They are great.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Apart from working your way through all the lessons, here on GN, I suggest that you buy a good theory book.

To get you started on theory, as it applies to guitar, I suggest Tom Serb's Theory For Guitar book. Tom is also a regular on GN under the name of Noteboat.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Added to the above, if you have access to a piano or some similar keyboard instrument, work with it. It's a lot more laid-out and linear.

ReplyQuote
 RoS
(@ros)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

my school doesn't provide music for people in my stream.

i might not be able to find the book. so far my only hope is online learning. that's why i'm asking you what to learn first?

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Chords chords chords

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Buy yourself "The right Way To Read Music" - published by Elliott Right Way Books at the enormous cost of five Great British Pounds.

Or

Get yourself a copy of Noteboat's book.

You don't actually need to know anything about theory to play for a living, but it always helps to have an idea of what's going on.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@sevenroy)

Let me tell you, my friend...

It never ends

and I love it!

ReplyQuote