Name That Chord!

12 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Assuming you're in tertian harmony, these are the most likely:

Cmaj11 (C-E-G*-B-D-F) or Dm13 (D-F-A*-C-E-G**-B)

Cm11 (C-Eb-G*-Bb-D-F) or F13 (F-A***-C-Eb-G**-Bb-D)

C11 (C-E-G*-Bb-D-F) or Fmaj13 (F-A***-C-E-G**-Bb-D) or Dm9+ (D-F-A#-C-E)

* - you can always drop the 5th from extended chords
**- when chords are extended to the 11th or 13th, the 9th is optional
***- when you play a major 11th chord, the 3rd is usually dropped

If you want D as the root, the middle one is a bit messy:

Dm7+b9 (D-F-A#-C-Eb)

Of course, with those notes you could also be in secundal harmony, since they all line up (B-C-D-E-F) :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, there's a typo on the first one - but no matter; the 11th is optional in a 13th chord.

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

The F# fully diminished 7th chord would be F# A C Eb. Notice how you can't make a fully diminished 7th chord in key, you have to use that accidental on the 7th.
The name of the chord tells you it all. F# means your root is F#. The ø is the fully diminished symbol. Diminished chords have a b3 and a b5. If your talking about fully diminished versus half diminished then it has the 7th. That fully diminished symbol means it is a bb7. (half diminished is only a b7). So the way to make this chord is 1 b3 b5 bb7.

The B7 augmented 9th chord would be. B D# F# A C##. Again the name tells you how to build it. The B gives you the root B. the lone 7 tells you it is a dominant 7th chord. 1 3 5 b7. Augmented means "moved up a half step above major or perfect" so it is a #9.

CΔ+4 dont know what the triangle symbol means, maybe someone else has seen it.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

Ok so obviously you are missing some basics that are making hard to understand this stuff. You need to start with simple triads. Then move on to diminshed and augmented chords, then 7th chords, then extensions.

C major 7th only has 4 notes, just C E G B.

F# would be an augmented 11th.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yes

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

"Just like F#ø means the same thing as F#-7b5."

I don't think that they do unless the "-" is a symbol meaning fully diminshed 7th. The ø symbol is for a fully diminshed 7th chord a diminshed triad with a bb7. "F#-7b5" appears to just be a b7.

Different people use different symbols as long as you know the ideas it doesn't matter. The only reason I said to learn traids is beacuse you put the F# when guessing how to make a major 7th chord...why would you guess?

-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

"Just like F#ø means the same thing as F#-7b5."

I don't think that they do unless the "-" is a symbol meaning fully diminshed 7th. The ø symbol is for a fully diminshed 7th chord a diminshed triad with a bb7. "F#-7b5" appears to just be a b7.

Different people use different symbols as long as you know the ideas it doesn't matter. The only reason I said to learn traids is beacuse you put the F# when guessing how to make a major 7th chord...why would you guess?

Dneck - that symbol 'ø' usually means "half diminished 7th" aka min7b5. (or -7b5 as some prefer - not me though)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Fretsource is right.

ø = half diminished (or m7b5 - there's a distinction drawn between them based on how they resolve, but most people today treat them as the same chord)

º = fully diminished 7th. The '7' isn't needed, because everyone assumes it's a four-note chord.

Notation symbols do vary, but those two are pretty consistent - I've never seen ø for a fully diminished chord.

Using - or + can be iffy, though. - usually means a flatted third, + usually means a raised fifth. Aebersold uses + to indicate a raised note... most of the charts and fake books I've seen will use # instead - some will even use it for a fifth, as in C7#5 instead of the more common C7+.

Triangles for major 7ths are common though - especially in hand-written charts. It's faster to draw a triangle than to write 'maj7'

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

A quick update on Aebersold (I just flipped through a couple of his books here)... some of his books include a two-page section titled "Scale Syllabus", and at the bottom of it he's got a footnote that begins:

"The above chord symbol guide is my system of notation."

Later in the footnote, he talks about how his system is different from standard - if you see C7+9 in Aebersold, that's not 1-3-5-b7-#9, it's 1-3-#5-b7-b9-#9-#11. When he uses C7b9, it's not 1-3-5-b7-b9, it's 1-3-5-b7-b9-#9-#11.

You probably won't see Aebersold notation anyplace except Aebersold books. It looks like other jazz notations, but it's really a lot different!

And you know, I've been using Aebersold since college, and I'd never read that footnote before!

(By the way, he gives his jazz handbook away free at Jazzbooks.com)

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

oh my bad I thought it was the other way around. never use the symbols. I learned them in theory class but I just know the names.

Your defintly right though the o was the fully diminished symbol. Then those are the same chord.

-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

Noteboat what is the difference in how they resolve?

-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I wouldn't look at it as a mode of the melodic minor - I think that just confuses things.

I think what Jamey means is that when you have a dominant chord (which has tension) and you have an altered tone (which creates more tension) you shouldn't be afraid of the other alterations.

I think where he's crazy is in drawing a distinction between places where you can use three altered tones vs. four :)

Now it is on a page called the <i>scale</i> syllabus, so I'm not reading it as chord content; I assume either chord would be played 1-3-5-b7-#9. But he uses different chord symbols for the same chord when his ears tell him different sets of scale tones will work.

Dneck, the distinction I've seen in ø vs m7b5 is this: If the chord root drops by a fourth in the resolution AND it lands on the IV of the key, it's written as m7b5... because it's clear that it's a native vii chord.

If it goes anywhere else, it's considered half-diminished - because it's seen as an alteration of a non-native chord (even if that alteration happens to make all the tones native to the key), and diminished chords are non-native.

I haven't seen that distinction in any books published since the mid 60s, though.

ReplyQuote