Naming chords

18 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I am learning new voices of chords and I am applying them to songs that I already know and also to new songs. I am trying several voices in each song (or part of a song) and I decide which one sounds better to me. When I find a voice that I like, I have to write it because I am not able to remember it.

I describe the chord: the type (ie. C6, Cmaj7, etc.) and the string where the root is. Sometimes the method doesn't work because there are several chords that fulfill the description. For example, there are at least two possibilities for C9-6str or C9-5tr.

Is there a convention for naming the chord voices?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Not really. You can get the pitches using standard notation, but even then it's possible to have more than one fingering that will play the exact same notes.

There are some methods used to specify a particular inversion (like figured bass), but again they can't differentiate all of what's possible on a guitar.

So if you need a way to remember specific fingerings, I'd probably use chord blocks to illustrate them.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I though that the standard notation would solve the problem. In fact, I started to write it in my previous post, but it is truth it is possible to have several fingerings for a chord.

Chord blocks is a good solution.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You actually can do it in standard notation - but if you've got more than a few, it can get cluttered. There's two methods:

1. Position notation - for example, if you want the notes C (2nd space from the top), E (top space), G (first space above the staff), CVIII would narrow it down to x-x-10-9-8-x, while CIII would give you xxx553.

2. String numbers - for the same example, 234 (each number circled) would be the 8th position, while 123 would be 3rd position.

As a general rule, I avoid trying to write specific fingerings in scores, because I think that's part of the interpretation. But sometimes a passage is a lot easier to finger in one place than another, or becomes really easy with a position shift... so I might write '2' in a circle over two successive notes to indicate a shift using the second finger.

But if it's just as a memory aid, chord blocks are quick and convenient.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm using something like the first method. I write the root string rather than the position but it is similar. For the example, I'd write C(4) and C(3).

It is easy to remember in that way because I am using separate sheets with empty chord blocks. The sheets have 6 blocks per column. At the top I write the chord name and I use each block for the different fingerings: when the root is on the 6th string, I use the first block, the second is for the root on 5th, and so on. If I don't know a fingering with the root on a string, I leave the block empty and I fill it when I found a fingering.

Each sheet is for a different 'family' of chords, I mean, I use sheets for major, minor and dominant chords. And I reserve a column for 'overflows' that are really my problem. An 'overflow' is a different fingering for a chord. For example, D9(2) can be x54555 and also x5x552. (I am thinking while I am writing and perhaps I can simply use D9(2)' for the second one...)

I like the second method because it seems it solves the problem. In D9(2) I'm playing the 3rd on the 4th string, in D9(2)' it is on the 1st string. Moreover, they are different F# in the score as well.

By the way, I also use your method for the passages. I need write down those things because I forget them very easily. Really that is the problem and not how to name the chords! LOL!

Anyway, thank you very much!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

One more idea - I had a teacher who labeled scale fingerings with the root string and the finger that played it - so I had scales labeled 1E, 2E, 4E, 1A, and so on. It's as good a method as any, and I use it with my students.

No reason it couldn't work for chords too.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

It seems it doesn't work directly. For example, there are two C9 with the root in the 5th and the 2 finger is used in both (C9-2A). But I like the idea. I will try to think about it.

By the way, currently I am studying the first book of The Complete Jazz Guitar Method series by Jody Fisher. He also uses that method for labeling the scales.

Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

why don't you just write x54030 or whatever if a chord name doesn't suffice. it seems to be the obvious solution.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yes, it seems an obvious solution. I just ask if there was a standard solution, sometimes guitar players reinvent the wheel when the solution already exist.

Thanks Jason!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

with sheet music, it's putting the string number over the note. there's a specific method of notation, but i can't think of it off the top of my head. if you're just outlining chords, i don't know of anything other than chord name and tab.

ReplyQuote
(@sean0913)
Trusted Member

If I understand your question you can simply put what position the fret is at next to the chord name,

So if you were playing some sort of C9 on the 5th string root, then you could indicate it as (3rd pos) or III pos
And likewise if it was the 6th string, you could notate it by (8th pos) or VII pos. Sheet music in Classical Guitar often notates by position.

Is this what you were asking about?

Sean

Guitar Instructor/Mentor
Online Guitar School for Advanced Players
http://rnbacademy.com

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

unless I'm missing something, simply indicating position on the score will solve your problem as for any set of notes, there's rarely more than one way to reasonably play them within a given position (though fingerings can vary, the string/fret combinations are going to be constrained by playing position).

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Sorry, I forgot that thread!

Sean, thank you. Yes, you are right. I was asking about that. And I am using that convention.

Although, KP, you are right, too. It does not solve all the combinations. For example, the easiest, the dominant 7th on the 5th string root: it can be played in a "C shape" (for example, the open C7) or a "A shape".

I didn't find a general rule, I think it doesn't exist.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Sorry, I forgot that thread!

Sean, thank you. Yes, you are right. I was asking about that. And I am using that convention.

Although, KP, you are right, too. It does not solve all the combinations. For example, the easiest, the dominant 7th on the 5th string root: it can be played in a "C shape" (for example, the open C7) or a "A shape".

I didn't find a general rule, I think it doesn't exist.

I'm not going to say that it's never the case, but your attempted counter example is incorrect.

The A shape chord is in 3rd position, the open chord is in the open position.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm not going to say that it's never the case, but your attempted counter example is incorrect.

The A shape chord is in 3rd position, the open chord is in the open position.
I described it in a wrong way but the example is correct: it does not work in my method. (I use the chord and the fret and string where the root is.)

The example: you can play C7 x3231x (my previous "C shape") and also x3535x (my previous "A shape"). Both share the root on 5th string, they share the same notation C7(5).

Now, I am not sure if it works for positions but for me positions are not a natural way of thinking (perhaps I am not used to).

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2