Clear all

Need to know theory

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

What would be some of the theory a classic rock/blues/funk player need to know. What would be some of the most important things (scales, arpeggios, chords, etc..)??? I know that knowing it all would be the best thing but what exactly would be the most important? Hopefully you can help, and hopefully this question has an answer.

Thanks

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I would say the minimum any musician NEEDS to know is:

1) how the major scales are constructed
2) how to harmonize a scale
3) what is the circle/cycle and how it's used

After that, learning more will translate into having more ideas you can self-generate for how you do things musically, of course. But those three things can take you pretty darn far.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member

if your doin a blues and rock thing you'll need to know the I,IV,V rule. also do some more chords and scales.

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

if your doin a blues and rock thing you'll need to know the I,IV,V rule. also do some more chords and scales.

This is all included in kingpatzer's response.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member

This is all included in kingpatzer's response.
yeah i just noticed that. sorry :oops:

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

and if i don't know some of those how do i go about learning??? Are there articles for these or are they to broad of subjects spread out over many articles?

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

It depends on your current knowledge. Do you understand how notes are named? A B C, etc. And Do you know what flats and sharps are? If not, then you need to know that first.

If yes - Do you know what whole steps and half steps mean? (or tones and semitone if you're outside N. America)

If yes - then you can start to learn what a major scale IS and how to make them. That's the first item in King's list.

Then you can learn how to combine the notes of any particular scale to make chords that go well together and are commonly used in songs. - that's what the second one in the list means. (harmonization of scales)

Then you can learn how all these sets of notes and chords (keys)
relate to each other. That's the third one in the list.

If you tell us what you already know, we can suggest where to go next.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

You can find a lot of theory articles here on the "Theory" page. Go to the Guitar Noise home page, then click on lessons and, when you've gotten to the lessons page, look at "lessons by topic" and click on theory. Most of our theory lessons are geared towards beginners.

And be sure to come back and post any questions.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks i'll go through some of those lessons and if i have any questions i'll come back and ask

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Is there an order that theory is supposed to be learned in? Or are there lessons on the theory page i should learn first? There are so many lessons I don't know which one to work from first.

I guess this goes for any thing, is there an order of topics or subjects you should learn on guitar?

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Here is a good start.

There is also "Theory without Tears" by David.

I'd start with the basics though.

ReplyQuote