Clear all

New chords I learned while noodling and possible names

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Friday night I got finished (for the most part) putting together my new router table at about 1am. I was getting tired but still knew I should play before bed. I got my guitar on, processor, headphones and then thought, “screw it.” I always play standing so I went way out there by sitting down, put my feet up on my desk, and leaned back in the chair and started off with basic chords but lifting and moving fingers to see if it would sound good. It's very, very rare for me to noodle. I can only remember twice in my life I've tried playing the guitar without thinking about chords or what I'm playing.

Anyway, after about 1-15 minutes of that I came up with some stuff I like. I want to make sure I'm naming these correctly so if it really has a different name let me know. I start off in a regular G then go to

Gsus4 (g-b-d)

1e: --3—(g)--pinky
2B: --3—(d)--ring
3G: --0—(g)--
4D: --0—(d)--
5A: --3—(b)—middle (with index still on fret 2)
6E: --x—

Then maybe to another simple move of the finger to

G(5)6add2 (g-a-d-e)

4D: --2—(e)--index
5A: --0—(a)
6E: --3—(g)--middle

One I tried sounded horrible:

G(5)6add2 (g-a-d-e)

2B: --0—(b)
3G: --3—(A#)--ring
4D: --0—(d)
5A: --2—(b)
6E: --3—(g)—middle
It must be that added A# fighting with the B confusing the chord as major or minor. Bad chord but I give myself credit for finally sitting down and fiddling to use my ears to decide if they are horrifying or decent. I also tried something different with my C chord. Often I'll play this:

Cadd2 (c-e-g-d)

1e: --0—(e)--
2B: --1—(c)--index
5A: --3—(c)--ring
6E: --X----

But I tried this and it sounded pretty good:

C6(no 5th)add2 (c-e-g-a-d)

1e: --0—(e)--
2B: --1—(c)--index
3G: --0—(a)--middle
5A: --3—(c)--ring
6E: --X----

I know it's missing the 5th but I think I was told the 5ths function is just to support the root. Anyway, Could someone check over these chords and see if I named them properly? So I just wanted to share my joy in having some fun learning on my own and ask if I've named these chords correctly.

:?

(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hmmm, guess I wasn't logged in when I posted. I bet some of you out there knew it was me by the way I type out the chords the long way. Hopefully I'll get in the swing of logging in and staying logged in.....

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

few things :)

Gsus4 (g-b-d)

this is G major (G, B, D) Gsus4 is actually G C D

G(5)6add2 (g-a-d-e)

not sure what you meant be the (5) but.. this chord is Gsus2add6

you labelled the 3rd one down the same as the 2nd, anyway the chord (3rd one down) is .. G add#9

Cadd2 (c-e-g-d)

this is perfectly correct but its more commonly named Cadd9

C6(no 5th)add2 (c-e-a-d)

you can call this Amadd11 or C6add2 (with no fifth)

oh chords confuse the hell out of me, with fret numbers, and strings, ahh its hell lol, but its always good to mess about a bit..

i think the chord you said sounded horrible actually sounded quite cool, tho that might be my deranged mind, lol!!

ReplyQuote
(@argus)
Reputable Member

few things :)

Gsus4 (g-b-d)

this is G major (G, B, D) Gsus4 is actually G C D

Actually the chord he showed was a Gsus4 (same as Csus2), but he just labelled one of the notes wrong.

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

Gsus4 (g-b-d)

5A: --3—(b)—middle (with index still on fret 2)
6E: --x—

Ahh.. i see, A string, missed that, i just lookd at the notes down the side.

ReplyQuote