Clear all

Notation question

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

This isn't really a theory question, but a basic notation question. In the example below from David's lesson on "Heart of Gold", at the end of the first measure there is an arched line connecting the last two notes of the measure. If these were single notes I would think that it meant to do a Hammer-on, but the notes are the same chord (C). So, does this mean to let the note ring out thru that eigth note that follows the original half note of (C)? Is it not a dotted half note because "part-2" of the note is an eigth instead of a quarter? - THANKS!

[/img]

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Yes, you allow the note to ring for the sum of the two notes (half + eighth). A dotted note would add a half of the note that's being "dotted" - so a half note would add a quarter. What's needed to fill the bar, though, is an eighth.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

It's a half note TIED to a eight note.

Like in the first measure of:

The second measure of my pic has a dotted half note (A half note tied to quarter note.)

Oh yeah, what greybeard said... LOL.

ReplyQuote
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys. did my image not show up in full-size since it was so large?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

thanks guys. did my image not show up in full-size since it was so large?
In Firefox, it showed up about 5th size - I clicked on it and got the full sized image on your host.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, GN's upload service sucks. I use TINYPIC.com. You don't have to register and the url it give you is TINY. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, GN's upload service sucks. I use TINYPIC.com. You don't have to register and the url it give you is TINY. :wink:
As we don't have an upload service, I can't see how it could suck. Nor do we have a hosting service, so that can't suck, either.
As for the size of the rendered image, that's a "feature" of phpBB or the browser NOT of GN.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

As we don't have an upload service, I can't see how it could suck. Nor do we have a hosting service, so that can't suck, either.
As for the size of the rendered image, that's a "feature" of phpBB or the browser NOT of GN.

OK, maybe I called it by the wrong name, but you see the link in the following graphic where it says "Add image to post." THAT SUCKS!

ReplyQuote