Clear all

Oh, woe is me

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@maxwell)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

As some of you know, I am making a mid-life change and going back to college to study music recording technology, a decision made 80% due to GuitarNoise.com, with the other 20% strongly reinforced by the wonderful people on the forums here.  Today I took my music theory placement exam, to see which level of class I start in.  I figured I would do alright if there weren't too many questions on chord construction and modes.  To make a long story short, out of 35 questions, I know I got 4 of them right.  It's going to be a looooooooooooong semester!  

On the bright side of the road, I should be able to write some intelligent articles for GuitarNoise in a few months!

He not busy being born is busy dying. - Bob Dylan (It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding)

(@alangreen)

Way to go, pal. Can't wait to see what you report back.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Bravo for your courage.  Remember, Rome was not built in a day.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

To make a long story short, out of 35 questions, I know I got 4 of them right.  It's going to be a looooooooooooong semester!  

Applause for doing what YOU want to do. Actually, that may be a good thing there. The less you know starting out the more likely you are to pay closer attention in class.  ;) Good luck. ;D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)
Good decisions.  Glad to hear you're in school!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@hank_blackwood)

They have schools to study music recording technology?  Wow, and to think I spent all that time studying accounting!   :o

But really, thats cool.  Is there a link to the school, I've been regretting not studying music more in the past.  I have been thinking I might like to do a part time night study if I can find something decent.

Oh, and good luck at school.  You can write an article on why when i play something it doesnt sound as good as the cd.....

Have a nice day.

Hank

Oh look, they have the internet on COMPUTERS nowadays!!!

ReplyQuote
(@maxwell)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just a follow up.  Thanks to GuitarNoise, I did learn more than I thought I did.  A score of 19 or greater would put me in the advanced Music Theory class.  I scored 19!  I opted to take the basic class anyway because I don't want anything to slip past me.

Thanks again to everyone, and I will probably be reading the forums more than ever now that I will have access to high speed Internet at school. (That still feels wierd everytime I write it after so many years.)

I got a tour of the three recording studios at the college this past week, and I am really impressed.  The facilities can handle anything from an individual performer to an entire orchestra.  I think I'm going to like this.  As students we are encouraged to get "hands on" with the equipment as much as possible, so once I get the basics down, watch out moosoft.net, here I come!

He not busy being born is busy dying. - Bob Dylan (It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding)

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Many of us out here are envious of your ability to stop what you're doing now and go back to school.  Change always brings uncertainty and many of us would much rather avoid that.  Good deal on your theory test!  Goes to show you this is a great place.  Once you learn all the biz and stuff you're going to be our personal recorder, (maybe it's called studio engineer, I don't know) eh?

;D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Just a follow up.  Thanks to GuitarNoise, I did learn more than I thought I did.  A score of 19 or greater would put me in the advanced Music Theory class.  I scored 19!  I opted to take the basic class anyway because I don't want anything to slip past me.

Thanks again to everyone, and I will probably be reading the forums more than ever now that I will have access to high speed Internet at school. (That still feels wierd everytime I write it after so many years.)

I got a tour of the three recording studios at the college this past week, and I am really impressed.  The facilities can handle anything from an individual performer to an entire orchestra.  I think I'm going to like this.  As students we are encouraged to get "hands on" with the equipment as much as possible, so once I get the basics down, watch out moosoft.net, here I come!

You get a long duration Standing O. Have fun. ;D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote