Clear all

pentatonic?

24 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i guess my question is can pentatonics be moded and if so is it still pentratonics or is it something else?

here's a minor pentatonic that i've known for ever. key of A

A, C, D, E, G

here's another that i've been hearing and playing latley

A, B, C, E, F#

they seem to work the same on eveything i try it on....very different sounds but still miner and still 5 notes and still works.

(@alangreen)

That second one is a Raga Sivarinjini scale.

Go here: Scaleopia - there's even a tab and fretboard chart for it there.

"Clickety Click"

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yes, you can consider any note the root and make a new scale from the interval patterns. It will still be a pentatonic scale, because it still has five notes - all five-note scales are pentatonic (just as all six note scales are hexatonic, etc.)

The pattern of intervals that corresponds to our major & minor pentatonics are used in many parts of the world... in China and Japan, there are five scales, each with a different name, that correspond to the 'modes'.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Raga Sivarinjini????

Looks like plain ol' A Dorian to me. Well, really it looks like a major pentatonic built on A Dorian.

Key of G: G A B C D E F# G

A Dorian: A B C D E F# G A

Major pentatonic intervals: Root, 2, 3, 5, 6

So "A Dorian Major Pentatonic" would be: A, B, C, E, F#

Does that make any sense?

Oh heck, just call it Raga Sivarinjini.

I hate scales.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

A search on my site throws up A Kumoi as an exact match, another exact match that is essentially a mode of that one, and 45 scales that it could be a subset of :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i don't understand what makes it major ....when i play it over the root chord it sounds minor, even blues like (to me anyway).

Raga Sivarinjini and Kumoi scales are right too but i'd rather relate to what i understand. ie:modes of the major scale, modes of pentatonics. if it can relate that is.

if you play these notes over a 7th it doesn't sound new, exotic, or from the far east. but it sounds good even 'normal'.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

i don't understand what makes it major ....when i play it over the root chord it sounds minor, even blues like (to me anyway).

I just picked the major pentatonic intervals that because they fit your notes. Dorian is closely related to the natural minor scale, and is often played over minor chords. You could play it over any progression with a ii chord (e.g., a ii-V-I progression.)

You could view your notes as being in E Minor (the natural minor in the key of G - as suggested by the presence of that F#). But that changes your root.

I assumed your root was A (again, key of G, so you'll have the same exact notes as Emin - convenient!) A Dorian over an Am chord will jazz it up a bit, compared to regular old A Minor. I personally wouldn't think to play it over a 7th chord, but I'm not well versed in improvisation (I associate 7ths with Mixolydian.) But if you think it sounds good, then let it rip!

Also, for clarification, your original Amin Pentatonic (A, C, D, E, G) is in the key of C, not A.

Hope that's helpful.

You could also throw all this scale and mode stuff out the window, and just focus on playing the chord tones. So much more intuitive! :D

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Also, for clarification, your original Amin Pentatonic (A, C, D, E, G) is in the key of C, not A.

Close, but no cigar - As the first interval is A->C it can only be Am as the step from A to C is a minor 3rd. If you take the pentatonic C, D, E, G, A then you're right, it is C Major because the interval between C and E is a Major 3rd.

Cheers,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Close, but no cigar - As the first interval is A->C it can only be Am as the step from A to C is a minor 3rd. If you take the pentatonic C, D, E, G, A then you're right, it is C Major because the interval between C and E is a Major 3rd.

I'm not suggesting it isn't Am. I'm simply pointing out that it's not key of A as was stated in the original post.

quote: "minor pentatonic ... key of A: A, C, D, E, G."

But Am = natural minor in key of C.

ReplyQuote
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ok, slejhamer...lets see if i got this right.

what i'm playing here is a sort of dorian pentatonic? it does make sence. and yes it works very well for 7th (even though there's no 7 in this scale) and the 6th chords. and...

the dorian starts as the 2nd note of the major scale. so G major is the same as A dorian, A major is B dorian, etc. right?

i'm glad you mentioned mixolydian....gives me the idea to use mixolydian 5 note scale too. if there's a way. maybe i could pick your brain over a good way to go about it.

as far as improv gos i know major, minor, mixolydian and the pentatonics. that's about all i know scale wise. i took some lessons from a jazz player. he got me playing the chord notes for leads, like you mentioned, but since i play blues and rock most chords are major/minor, that's only three notes. so i usualy only do that during 7ths. then i just mix it all together and try to make music. :wink:

big thanks to all who posted here...the links were helpfull too. i bookmarked ChordsAndScales.co.uk that's a very cool site.

ReplyQuote
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, really it looks like a major pentatonic built on A Dorian.

Key of G: G A B C D E F# G

oh, yeah....just wanted to clear this up. it's a 1, 2, d3, 5, 6. it's the 3rd that makes it major or miner the C would be C# for major 8)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

My two cents.... "A major Dorian" is just plain silly. Modes are hard enough for people to get their heads around without complicating things with new names.

A "major Dorian": A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G-A (as I understand the previous posts)

A mixolydian: A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G-A

So please enlighten me - what's the difference?

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

"A major Dorian" is just plain silly.

Who said that? Not me. Yours is the first reference to "major Dorian" in the thread.

I applied the major pentatonic intervals to A Dorian and called it "A Dorian major pentatonic" for lack of a better term and solely to distinguish it from minor pentatonic. Sorry if that confused.

Also my understanding is that the simpler terminology "Dorian pentatonic" refers to the minor pentatonic intervals in Dorian. If there's a better term for using the major pentatonic intervals in Dorian, please inform me.

Anyway, to improvgtrplyr's original question: yes, pentatonics can be moded, and modes can be played as pentatonics. Here's a good (long!) read for you: http://www.ibreathemusic.com/print/178

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

*looks puzzled*
*smoke emits from Evan's Skull*
*he drops dead*

I honestly totally got lost... I tried... I did...

I think its great you guys know all this theory. It's one department I lack. If I ever take lessons theory is going to be part of them.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

yeah...this has been a learning experience for sure. i knew the 1, 3, 5, bit. i wasn't thinking :roll:

but, i'm sure i won't make that mistake again :!:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2