Clear all

Proposed Forum Discussion Rule

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@xdamnablex)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

This rule is to help stop discussions from morphing into something else and keep it on track. Or to stop people from trying to answer a question or discussion in a way that leads the originator of the thread to a dead end since we are all looking and studying music theory in different ways.

Rule: The originator posts "back to the top" if the discussion brings him to a dead end.

If that line is typed in obviously the question was not answered in a manner that he or she can understand. This is to help keep the discussion going rather than boiling it down to simple newbie discussion of chords and scales. It doesn't help to boil the discussion down to simplicity if the originator of the thread is trying to discuss something complex as cadences and chromatics.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I don't think the discussion belongs to the originator. The originator starts a dialogue, but the conversation belongs to all who participate. Everyone's welcome in the discussion and everyone learns from the conversation, even if it does veer off in an unexpected direction. I think the discussions on all the forums work well for the most part.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I'm with Musenfreund. New players tend to have common problems; experienced players have them too, just different problems. Sometimes, a topic heading off at a tangent can offer a completely different perspective on the original question and leads to a new way of trying to find the solution.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@xdamnablex)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So if the originator of the thread is not understanding the replies to his question, sorry it's to late because the conversation veered off in a different direction. Or he/she goes ahead and posts a newer question making the thread confusing to read....

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Nope - I think the original poster has to stand up and say "I don't understand"

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Think of this like a group of folks sitting around a table having a beer.

Person 1 says "I have a question about A, how does A work?"
Person 2 says "Well A works because of B"
Person 3 says "B is really interesting think about C D and E!"
Person 4 says "Oh man . . E really makes me think about Y and Z!"
Person 2 says "Yeah Z is great. Everytime Z, Y and X!"
Person 1 goes "But I don't get A!!"

Everyone looks at person 1 and wonders why they didn't speak up 5 minutes ago, and why is person 1 trashing this great conversation about Z!

Discussions are group events. They don't belong to anyone.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@321barf)
Estimable Member

Yeah if you start a thread it's up to you to assert yourself and your line of questioning. And it's up to you to "speak up" if you don't understand something.

Besides sometimes people start a thread and don't post again for a long time and the thread doesn't stay frozen until that person decides to come back and post again.So that person can't expect the thread to stick entirely to the original subject or come back and expect it to make perfect sense if they didn't participate.So the same applies to when you are here posting.You have to actively participate and ask your questions or sometimes, "re-ask" them, or state that you do not understand the answers to your question.Then people can try again to help you out.

I'm sure that if something goes really off-track and ceases to be educational then the admins here would consider THAT to be too off-topic!

Topics can twist in turn in all sorts of different directions because people will find something in a response that sparks a different question.It's up to you to re-ask any previous questions or ask for further clarification on them if you need it.Jump in and ask - pull the discussion back towards the original premise.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Good point. We can split a topic into two threads if the discussion really does get too far away from the original point and find a new focus.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I post to other boards now and then... here's how most of those go:

1: original post
2: (optional) yeah, I wondered the same thing
3: wrong answer
4: right answer
5: somebody flames wrong answer
6: another wrong answer
7: a post that was clearly meant to answer a different discussion on the same board
8: somebody flames the right answer & both wrong answers, then posts their own wrong answer
9: somebody tries to cool down the flamers
10: a four-part post that nobody understands
11: side comments about Hendrix
12: pictures of somebody's new guitar
13: side comments about Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani, Dimebag, Hammett, and/or Rhoads
14: a pointless joke
15: flames continued...

For the most part, discussions here stay pretty well on track.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote