Clear all

Question about reading/writing

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

So I was wondering if writing music was a good way to learn to read music?

I've been writing stuff on an online page that reproduces what I write so that I don't make a mistake. Is this cheating ? Or is this a good way to learn ( writing in an online page ) because when I wrote on paper sometimes I wasn't sure if what I was writing was what I was playing.

So will all this writing help me in my reading?

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

DT3
(@dt3)

Hey Cool...

Yes. I am absolutely 1000% sure that notating music on staff paper will improve your reading skills. The two work in tandem. Using notation software is not cheating, but you do not want to become dependent upon it. It sounds like that may be the case at this point. When writing, start basic and make sure that you play or sing everything that you write. Be patient. Music is a language. You did not learn to read or write your spoken language over a short period of time. Music is no different. It takes time, especially when dealing with rhythm. Try copying music that is already written. JS Bach did this with the music of Vivaldi. Lastly, be consistent. A little bit each day serves better to hone your skill than a lot every couple of days. I hope this helps.

Best,
d

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

What website are you using?

ReplyQuote