6E  ---X---  

Here we have an inverted D.  I've seen and played this A:

1E  --X---  
2B  --2--- index
3G  --2----index
4D  --2----index
5A  --O----  
6E  ------  

many times (although I normally use a different fingering to hear the e string).

Here is the quesion.  Do you guys and gals normally finger the inverted D chord like the first example or "shadow" your index finger to be ready to play the A chord?

1E  --------X---  
2B  ---(2)--3---  middle
3G  ---(2)--2---  index
4D  ---(2)--4---  ring
5A  --------X---  
6E  --------X---

See how the index finger is hanging out held in place behind the D chord so the ring and middle can be lifted to result in your D to A to D quicky.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yes, I barre the A with the index finger (which I do almost always unless I have to arpeggiate the chord) and I hammer on with the others usually.   This is a Keith Richards trick -- and McCartney in Jet, as I recall.

I hope I answered your question -- my mind is even foggier than usual this evening.  

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

That seems to be quite a stretch to hammer on with the middle and especially the ring finger.  I've always practiced the moveable shape using the index finger to only hold one note down in the three note D example so it's hard for me to learn to hold it in the "just in case I want to pay an A" position.  I'll try to work on it a little tonight.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Are you doing it on acoustic or electric?

If you hammer using that pattern, you can do the "Start Me Up" riff:

Riff:

B|---5---6-6-|--5---6-6--|---5-6-5---|
      G|---5---5-5-|--5---5-5--|---5-5-5---|
      D|---5---7-7-|--5---7-7--|---5-7-5---|

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Electric.  It seems it would be easier at the 5th fret because of the closer frets.  Since I just got a Stone book I'll look check it out.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, practice the shape on the fifth.  In no time at all you'll find it easy to do the shape up and down the neck, even at the second fret.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote