Resolution?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Susie Q by CCR, the chord progression is E7, B7, A7, C7
michhill8 mentioned this song and chord progression. I have something similar shown for "Before you accuse me". My question is - where is the resolution? In "Before you accuse me", the 12th bar is a V7, which I would have thought should be resolved by the I chord at the start of the next 12 bar progession - but there isn't one, it's a I7. Nor does the music show the final chord of the song as a I chord (it doesn't even mention anything like that).
What am I missing here?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

In blues, it's extremely common for "all" the chords to be dom7s. This gives blues its typically "restless" quality. In a song played with all 7th chords, there is no "resolution" as such.

What happens is that each chord "pulls" you towards the next.

In the example above (sorry, I'm not familiar with the song in question), it's in they key of E, so it presumably starts with the E7. This chord wants to "move" (resolve) to A and does, but finds no rest because that's a 7th too. Same with the B7. That wants to resolve to E, but gets an E7 instead.

This is typical of blues although not all blues are written with all 7ths. Blues songs do not always "resolve" properly to a plain triad and sometimes end on that edgy, unresolved 7th chord.

That C7 is slightly unusal for a blues, but may be thought of as a chord substitution from the parallel minor (borrowed bVI). It is often called the "Buddy Holly chord" because he used it a lot, as did the Beatles. It is most commonly used as a passing chord towards the V.

Anyway, the song is in E and uses the I7, IV7, V7 and bVI7.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured it must be.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Another way to look at the C7 in this case is as a substiture for Am7(b9), giving you a minor IV to I feel. That makes the song I - V - IV - iv - I, which is used a lot in various styles of music.

Peace

ReplyQuote