Notifications
Clear all

Scale/Mode for Bm7 - E9 progression

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@911)
Topic starter  

What scale/mode other then Bm pentetonic could be played over a funky style Bm7- E9 progression? Tired of playing the same old, same old and know theres something else that could be going on.
Thanks for your help.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

There are several of ways you solve problems like this...

1. Root motion. E9 is a dominant type chord, so it's driving the movement. E -> B is moving down a perfect fourth, which you can look at as a plagal cadence (IV-I). That view makes B the root, and you can play minor type scales with a B root (you'd want a minor scale type to match the minor I chord). But E9 isn't "native" to Bm, because it's got a G# note in it. The good news is Bm7 doesn't have a G note. So if you substitute G# for G, you get a very workable scale: B Dorian (B-C#-D-E-F#-G#-A)

2. Dominant tension. Dominant type chords "want" to move down by a perfect fifth: E -> A. So you could see A as the scale root. A dominant E chord could put you in either A major or A harmonic minor (melodic minor isn't as good a choice here, because of the F# in the Bm7 chord). Using A major might look just like answer #1, since A major and B Dorian are "related", but there's a difference - using B as the root gives you a sense of mode; using A as the root will lead your ear to hear it as a ii7-V7-I7 progression that doesn't really get to the end of the line. (If you do treat it this way, you could alter your last Bm7 a chord a bit, playing Bsus or B5 - using A as the final note of the solo will make it sound like you're resolving to A6/9)

3. Chord tones. Bm7 is B-D-F#-A; E9 is E-G#-B-D-F#. Put those together and you have B-D-E-F#-G#-A. You can use any scale that has those tones... a B minor hexatonic (pentatonic + G#) - or you can fill in the missing C with either C natural or C#. C# gets you B Dorian; C natural gets you the "Dorian b2" - some people think of this as the second mode of the melodic minor scale, because the tones are the same as A melodic minor. I don't see any particular advantage to thinking that way, but if that's what floats your boat, there's nothing wrong with seeing it in those terms.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@911)
Topic starter  

Thanks. I'll give B dorian a try.

ReplyQuote
(@911)
Topic starter  

Noteboat,

Cant thank you enough for your help. B dorian works GREAT! It opened many doors for me, now I can sound a little jazzy and bluesy in the same solo. I especially like landing on the b7. I am wondering if the mixo would work it has a b7?

I have another question...

What mode(s) works with D-Am7-C2-G?

Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You follow the same basic logic, although your progression is a little trickier this time around.

Since you don't have a dominant chord, you don't have a tension - the progression doesn't naturally pull in any specific direction. But the first thing that stands out to my eye is D-C-G - and since you're ending on G, you've got a V-IV-I progression going on.

The Am7 is really a C chord (functionally). It's got the same notes as C6. C2 isn't a standard chord name - most charts will call it Cadd9.

If I had to improvise over this, here's the logic I'd take:

D -> C -> G wants a G major scale root

V-IV-I implies a blues type of progression, but the Am7 (C6) followed by Cadd9 add up to a C6/9 - hardly ever used in a blues except as a final chord. I'd go with a major type sound.

Every chord tone in the G major scale is present in at least one chord: G (in Am7, Cadd9, and G), A (D, Am7), B (G), C (Am7, Cadd9), D (D, Cadd9, G), E (Am7, Cadd9), and F# (D).

Bottom line, I wouldn't consider this a good candidate for any mode - I'd stick with the G major scale, or something even simpler (G pentatonic, G hexatonic)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@911)
Topic starter  

Hexatonic??

ReplyQuote
(@911)
Topic starter  

Hexatonic...I got it a #6 or b7.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member