Scales

21 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 Musi
(@musi)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

O.k i tryed to learn Theory and i went to cyberfret.com and began their. And i learned this

This an A major scale right. But is that just the scale or what, and what should i learn next. Does the same pattern at a diffrent location a C major scale or????

Enter the madness http://www.maggib.tk

(@davidhodge)

Hi Musi

You got it ! That pattern you have can be any major scale - as long as your "root" is the note that's shown in red. So, for instance, if you wanted a C major scale, you'd want the red "2" on the first or sixth string to be the eighth fret.

If you want another take on this that might be a little easier to read, try this article, from our own pages: Scaling The Heights

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 Musi
(@musi)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yhea thx

ReplyQuote
 Musi
(@musi)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Then what is this, Guitar pro says this an A major scale

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

It is.  

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

That Guitar Pro shows the A major scale across the entire length of the fretboard.

Usually a guitarist will learn scales in "steps" or "positions." If you look at your first chart, you can see that this position covers the fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh frets of the Guitar Pro scale.

The reason for learning things in positions is that it's easier to play in a span of three to four frets than it is to play all over the guitar. The thing that you will learn is that all of this positions have overlapping notes, so going from one to another is pretty easily done with practice.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hey guys I'm just starting to get my hands around scales and modes and I'm alittle confused. In the first post the note that is the RED 2 is on F# which is not the root. Is this then a mode of A major?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hi cnev (and congrats on your 100th post!)

The first post is what's called a "Generic" scale chart. The idea is that you can place this anywhere along the neck and it will be some major scale (and again I find myself referring you back to "Scaling the Heights" https://www.guitarnoise.com/columns/2002/20020504.php
if you want to see this laid out a little easier.

If you assume that the first post is open position, then this would be the F# major scale because, as you point out, the red 2 would be on the F#.

If you were to shove this whole thing up the frets so that the red 2 was on the fifth fret, then you'd have the A major scale - and you can conveniently see that by checking against the Guitar Pro chart. You can also see where you get the A major again by lining the red 2 up on the 17th fret.

The point is that you can use this pattern anywhere on the guitar and it will always be a major scale for whose root is whatever note corresponds to the red 2.

Hope this helps.

Peace

David

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The red 2 is the root. What this diagram shows is the finger placement to play this pattern - notice only numbers 1-4.

Either follow the link that David gave you or you can look here:

http://people.freenet.de/greybeard/ScalePatternsGmaj_V2.htm

The patterns have been laid out in terms of scale degrees rather than finger positions

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Musi
(@musi)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Should i just learn the pattern or the whole fretboard thing??

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

In my opinion, you should learn the patterns and how they relate to each other - look at the top pattern, the top half is the same as the bottom half of the lowest pattern. They cycle around, so wherever one pattern is placed, you can position the others around it.

BUT, I also think that you should understand the theory behind it.

What I do is learn one pattern. Once I know it, I learn the next pattern to it. Once I am fairly happy, with it, I start to run the two patterns together, going up one and down the other. Start with the lowest fret position and slide up to the second pattern, when you get to the high e, slide down and come back down the lower pattern.
When you have that going, add another pattern.

What I show on my website is the same as guitar pro gives you, except that I separate the fretboard into 5 patterns, which I think is more readable (and also reflects their place in the CAGED system).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Learn these two patterns.  They apply anywhere on the fretboard:

5th string root:
--|--4--|-----|--5--|-----|--6--|--  
--|--1--|-----|--2--|-----|--3--|--
--|-----|--6--|-----|--7--|--1--|--
--|-----|--3--|--4--|-----|--5--|--
--|-----|--7--|--1--|-----|--2--|--

6th string root:
--|-----|--2--|-----|--3--|--4--|--
--|-----|--6--|-----|--7--|--1--|--
--|-----|--3--|--4--|-----|--5--|--

Note that the flat/sharp notes are in between the others.  For example the b3 (minor 3rd) is between the 2 and the 3.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Dave,

I understand this is a moveable scale pattern and I understand that the red 2 is the root it's that in Musi's original post he asked if this was an A scale pattern and you replied yes but since the root was on the F# it's not an A scale it's and F# scale. Maybe I was being to picky about semantics but I am clear on it, thanks.

I was worried for a minute that I didn't understand the scale pattern and somehow that scale pattern starting on F# was no being called an A scale.

Chris

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Your first post shows a diagram that's a major scale pattern, and the name of the scale will be the note played with the second finger on the 6th string.  If you're in the first position, that's F# major.

Compare that pattern to the A major scale in Musi's post, and you'll see the pattern appears in the fourth position (second finger playing A on the fifth fret of the sixth string).

If you want it to be C major, move that pattern to the seventh position (second finger on the eighth fret).

Tom

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I approach it much as Greybeard does, except I break the scale across the fretboard  into seven interlocking patterns -- corresponding to the modes, as it were.  

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2