Clear all

So...

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering if I take a really complicated chord, Idk like a C 11th for example and I take away the Major 3rd note ( E )could I substitute this for a power chord ? ( A C power chord ).

Im sure it would sound very different but could I do it ? ( Well I know I can do it, but can I do it inside the parameters of theory )

And now, can I take a power chord and instead of adding the octave add the b7 note ? Well I know I can, but what would it be called ? O_O

Well thanks :D

EDIT: One more question!

What do we call a G with an added G# in the G string I was thinking of G Augmented Unison? (because you have that interval there ?) That prolly makes no sense :D. But I like it cause it is really tense and it resolves nicely to Cmaj 7 :).

And btw, my learning to read is going well , I find reading the rhythm is easier than reading the notes, but that will come with time :D. ( not the rhythm guitar, but the rhythm of the notes )

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I'm no expert so if something is wrong, I apologize (although I'm sure someone would correct it)

Replacing a power chord with something like a C11 chord is a matter of context. For example, let's look at the notes of both chords

C5 power chord: C G
C11 : C E G Bb D F

now, keep in mind that sometimes when people play extended chords they get rid of a few notes, the 5th and the root is most common (in jazz, the root is taken out sometimes because the bass player plays the root of the chord).

So let's just assume you replace the C5 chord with a C11 in a song that is in the key of C major, that will sound very strange, most likely, and probably not what you're looking for.

On the other hand, if you were playing a C5 chord in a song that's in the key of F major, the C chord is the dominant chord so using an extended dominant chord like a C11 chord would sound better, especially if you want it to resolve back to an F chord.

Sometimes you have to look at what other instruments are doing (what notes are being played by the bass player? what notes is the singer singing?), if the singer is singing a B note while you're playing the C11 with the Bb, it may sound awful (of course, there are exceptions to every rule)

I've seen chords with a root, 5th, 7th (or more) in music books, alot of times they're called something like "C7 (no 3rd)" (for example, a C7 chord with no E note)

A G chord (G - B - D) with a G#, I think I would call that a Gadd(b9) (it basically says that it's a regular G chord with an added note, b9, which is Ab or G#)

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well that makes sense, I was only thinking if I took away the 3rd then it would not be major or minor but since it has the b 7 it would prolly sound bad depending on the context.

Man music all depends on context!

Hmm I have another question:

How are like music tests, like when u study music, what are tests about ( other than reading standard notation ) I mean do they ask you:

If we play a G followed by a C, what is missing for this to be a I IV V ?

Well Idk thats an easy question, I cant think of anything xD.

Hmm wow now Im really thinking, how are those tests ? O_O

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Steve's pretty much covered your chord question. You can add notes to a power chord as the context requires. (But they'll no longer be called power chords.)

As for theory exams, that depends on who's giving the exam. Scrybe knows about the Rockschool exams. The theory exams I'm most familiar with are the UK 'classical' theory grades and diplomas exams given by traditional music colleges such as the ABRSM (Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music). You can find the syllabuses for all their exams (theory and instruments) online (ABRSM.org or something like that.)

Most of it is notation (treble and bass staffs) based such as:
"write two octaves ascending and descending of the D melodic minor scale."
"Name these intervals"
"write the subdominant 7th chord in the key of E major
"transpose this melody up a perfect 4th"
"Add bar lines and supply a suitable time signature for this phrase"
"harmonise this melody in 4 parts"
"Compose a suitable melody above this accompaniment"
"Name the cadence at the end of this phrase"

Nothing about modes, natural minor scales or pentatonics - they don't figure in Common Practice Theory, which is what the standard classical exams are based on.

Non

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Most of it is notation (treble and bass staffs) based such as:
"write two octaves ascending and descending of the D melodic minor scale."
"Name these intervals"
"write the subdominant 7th chord in the key of E major
"transpose this melody up a perfect 4th"
"Add bar lines and supply a suitable time signature for this phrase"
"harmonise this melody in 4 parts"
"Compose a suitable melody above this accompaniment"
"Name the cadence at the end of this phrase"

Non

Is the subdominant 7th chord A7 ? :O

wow so you have to compose a melody without ur instrument?

The adding bar lines thing is easy, I do it all the time.

None of that seems too hard :D.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Is the subdominant 7th chord A7 ? :O

wow so you have to compose a melody without ur instrument?

The adding bar lines thing is easy, I do it all the time.

None of that seems too hard :D.

No - it's A major 7th (A C# E G#). A7 contains G, which isn't in the key of E major.

Those exams I mentioned cover a wide range from beginner to advanced. Adding bar lines at grade 3 is a lot easier than adding them at grade 8.

Not only do you have to write without your instrument, but you also have to think in the bass staff as well as the treble - and, at the higher levels, the piano is considered the standard instrument that students should be familiar with- so you might get a question asking you to write a piano accompaniment to a given melody.

ReplyQuote