Clear all

Songwriting Theory

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Im sure this has been covered in different tabs but i guess im kinda looking a generalized answer so heres my thread. I want to start song writing but really dont know where to go with it the only scale i know well is the Minor Penatonic and get really frustrated trying to learn theory and stuff because the figuring out of where each note is in a scale or on a fretboard is just incredible frustrating.Direct me!

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

(@alangreen)

ok - give us some help here. If we gave you a key, could you tell us which chords belong in that key?

When you say you "know" the pentatonic minor scale, do you know the names of the notes you're playing, or do you just know the five patterns to play?

Now the easy bit.

A song needs some words - get writing. Take a topic out of the Sunday Songwriters Group here if you're struggling to get started

Get a rhythm going - walking to the shops or the bus stop generates a natural rhythm - and fit your words into the rhythm. Adjust as necessary.

Talking back the words to a rhythm will generate an early feel for a melody. You'll need to nail that first note and know which chords it forms part of.

Then we need to know the answers to the questions above before we can roll out the next chapter

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

Might want to find a key and some chords as well...knowledge of the minor pentatonic won't get your far in songwriting, unless you back it with a lot more. Just put some chords together, man - use your ear; if you can't do that, read soem articles about theory and make a chord progression. OR, if you're really desperate, just use the ol' I-IV-V progression and put it to a 4 beat rhythm, or turn it into a blues progression or something.

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote