Clear all

Spanish Scales

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I read some where that the Phygian scale is the Spanish flamenco minor.  If that is true, then what is flamenco major scale?

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Quoted from the New Grove Dictionary of Music on-line:

As in the popular music of Andalusia, the scales used for flamenco mostly exhibit an affinity for three principal types: firstly, the medieval Phrygian (or Greek Dorian); secondly, a modified scale resembling the Arab maqam Hijazi; and thirdly, a bimodal configuration alternating between major and minor 2nds and 3rds (ex.1). The melodies are predominantly diatonic, with occasional leaps of 3rds and 4ths, and the Phrygian cadence (A–G–F–E) is a common feature. According to the individual cante of the flamenco repertory, the use of ornamentation varies from light to heavy, and ascending or descending appoggiatura-like inflections are commonly used to accentuate certain notes. Such inflections are microtonal and are a particular feature of cante hondo. It is here that comparisons with North Indian and Arab modal practices appear valid. The flamenco repertory incorporates many metres: binary, simple and complex; ternary; and combinations of both. Polyrhythmic passages also occur in which the vocalist, singing in binary metre, may be accompanied in ternary metre. Additional cross-rhythms are provided by taconeo (heel-stamping), palmas sordas (hand-clapping) and pitos (finger-snapping). Songs of a purely parlando-rubato nature are usually sung a palo seco (without guitar accompaniment).

Flamenco, Israel J Katz, < http://www.grovemusic.com >  

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hiya,

Spanish Phrygian is very much a hybrid. The "octave"  comprises nine notes.

C, Db, Eb, E, F, G, Ab, Bb, C

Note there are two E's

In use, it has a very mediterranean feel.

Tim: Interesting definition. I understood the Cadence to be simply I#-I - F-E, or Bb-A and for the IV to be a minor rather than major chord - Am-G-F-E.

The best place I've found for scales is

Scaleopia

Cheers,

A:-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Hiya,

Spanish Phrygian is very much a hybrid. The "octave"  comprises nine notes.

C, Db, Eb, E, F, G, Ab, Bb, C

Note there are two E's

In use, it has a very mediterranean feel.

Tim: Interesting definition. I understood the Cadence to be simply I#-I - F-E, or Bb-A and for the IV to be a minor rather than major chord - Am-G-F-E.

The best place I've found for scales is

Scaleopia

Cheers,

A:-)

(Now if I only understood the definition!!!! :-X)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Hmmm.

I'm no flamenco player, so my thoughts on this may be wildly out of line, but whatever.

Personally, and I may well be wrong, the E-F combo in the typical flamenco progression Am-G-F-E has never felt like a I-#I.  It feels very much like a V-VI, building up tension for the move back to the i (Am).

To me this Phrygian business has never made much sense in describing typical flamenco.   It is very much standard harmonic minor: i-VII-VI-V.

Try it for yourself.  The progression rests, (feels at home) on the Am, not on the E.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@serickso)
Trusted Member

This is interesting.  A phrygian cadence is a cadence on the V chord (which would make the A/Am the I/i chord); this agrees with Helgi's position (and modern Western music theory).  At the same time, that does not mean that there ever has be a cadence on the I/i chord (after all, it is flamenca, not a classical sonata).  This could certainly give the V chord a tonicized function.  If we look at it from the perspective of the original Greek mode and the Moorish influence, then a case could easily be made for the E as the I chord.  It seems either view is correct.

ReplyQuote