Clear all

Teaching some students next week

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@nomadik)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Two siblings from down the street came by last week and really want me to teach them guitar. Over the weekend I put together a PDF that I'm going to print, of the very basics for guitar:

http://www.jesseacosta.net/files/guitar_basics.pdf

It will be an 11x17 mini poster black and white print. Graphic Arts is what I majored in, so I only thought it proper to design my own little primer poster.

Anyways, the question I have is do you think there is anything else I should cover that isnt on the page? What are some key things to start with? The PDF covers some basic open chords, notes in first position, and a few starter scales and patterns. I'm not sure If I'm missing anything else that might be valuable.

Thanks,
-Jesse

-Jesse Acosta
http://www.ayun.net/nomadik/

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

How about an easy song? most people want to learn songs right away when they first play guitar, and there are plenty of songs with basic chords and strumming that you could show them: for example, on my first guitar lesson i learned good riddence by green day. Anyways, just a thought.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@rometchan)

Start really simply and slowly. If you fry their brains too early on with notes / theory / scales etc. they'll probably loose interest quickly. Start with a few simple open chords, strumming patterns and simple song.

E.g. A, D, E - Then you can play (a basic version of) Wild Thing.

They'll love it as they'll recognise the song, be able to get up and running in a reasonable amount of time, and then they can play it to their friends / relatives. It will probably inspire then to want to learn more. Then you can introduce more chords and songs that use those chords.

Hope that helps!

ReplyQuote