Clear all

Tonal center

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@screaminside)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

if we are using major or minor scales , the tonal center should be the tonic of the key???? i dont know
solos and chords progressions tends to go to this note ( the tonic) to be more stable ,,is that the meaning of the tonal center?
some song tends to go to other notes inside the scales some times 3d or 4th or 5th or others ..could they be the tonal center and the tonic used few times in a solos or a chord progressions ?

another point
the first chord in a song is always the key of the song ???? i found some songs that dont follow this rule
the last chord too...

((sorry if i made any languages mistakes ))

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Yes the tonal centre is the tonic of the key. It's the place of greatest stability, and tonal music exploits that quality by moving away from that note to create tension and moving towards it to create a sense of resolution - a 'coming home' feel.
Some songs, melodies, solos, etc may focus on notes other than the tonic and they create a distinct effect because they are being heard in relation to the tonic, (which is still subconsciously in our minds, even if not being played).

Or - another note / chord may be approached and emphasised in such a way that the tonal centre shifts and that note/chord becomes a new tonic. In that case there has been a change of key, which may be fleeting or may be permanent.

It's common for songs to start on the tonic chord, but it's by no means a rule. There are lots of songs that don't. Ending a song on the tonic chord is far more common because of the need for a stable, final ending - but even that isn't necessary if the writer wants a different effect.

ReplyQuote
(@screaminside)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

m thank u Mr fretsource i understand it,,. thank u very much

ReplyQuote