Clear all

Using out of key notes while soloing

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Sorry if this has been posted already, but my guitar teacher wanted me to play the "right bad notes" to add exitment to my solo's... Any help?

Stairway to Freebird!

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Chromatic playing is a great way to add real depth to a solo.

There's not a really good "secret" to this beyond starting to really listen to what things sound like.

Try flat 5ths, sharp 6ths, flat 7ths... those are common "wrong notes" that tend to add something usable.

THe key to this is really just listening to the intervals in relationship to the harmony and melodic lines.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You can 'start small' by using non-diatonic notes as passing tones or decorations.

For example, instead of playing 1-5, play 1-5-b5-5 or 1-5-4-b5-5.

Once you get used to the sounds you can get, then you can try two or more notes back to back.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

Also, if you are including a "wrong" note, many times it souds good when it's not dwelled on, but the situation becomes harder to get out of when you hold it for longer, becuase you often suggest a modulation to another key. I have this lick where it is constantly switching from major to minor in the same position on the neck, but many of the notes sound weird becuase they don't fit in the key I was just playing in, so use them with care.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@321barf)
Estimable Member

To further add to what's been said by everyone so far...

Sometimes a note in the scale is bad and you shouldn't dwell on it.But sometimes a note that isn't in the scale can sound okay to dwell on over a certain chord.etc

If a note is really "bad" sounding,then don't dwell on it too long no matter what,whether it's in the scale or not in the scale.Conversely if a note sounds good then dwell on it.Whether it's "in" the scale or not "in" the scale,makes no difference.

It's all a matter of which chord is sounding at any one moment.Certain notes will sound good with certain chords...some diatonic,some chromatic.

If you start with the blues using all Dominant chords then you'll have lots of chromatic notes that you can use as good "bad" notes.But over a more traditional diatonic chord sequence you'll have a few less possibilites.You can always use chromatic passing notes but dwelling on some of those notes depends on the circumstances.It may sound good or bad depending on the individual chord or the type of sequence.

:arrow: now GO and ROCK! (tee-hee) :lol:

ReplyQuote