Clear all

using pentatonic scales rather than full scales

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@patrick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

If you have a chord progression/accompaniment in say E minor, you're often told to use E Minor Pentatonic for the melody or soloing/improvising. But what about using the full E Natural Minor scale for the melody? In other words, what is the advantage of using the pentatonic scale rather than the full 7 note scale? thanks.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

The pentatonic would, I think, simply give you a bluesier feel than the full natural minor.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Using the pentatonic scale doesn't mean you can't use the other notes, it merely means that you'll focus more on those notes. Don't keep a strict attoitude towards scales: if you need a note use it. A basic advantage of the pentatonic scale is that most of the notes sound good over every chord in a standard bluesbar, so even tonedeaf people can pretend to improvise. :P

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Also, the pentatonic has no semitones/ half steps. That gives it a distinct 'feel' that has come to be associated with rock music.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The minor pentatonic (or the "blues scale" with the b5) contains no "clam" notes that can sound really bad over either a I-IV-V or i-iv-v accompaniment.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Using the pentatonic scale doesn't mean you can't use the other notes, it merely means that you'll focus more on those notes. Don't keep a strict attoitude towards scales: if you need a note use it. A basic advantage of the pentatonic scale is that most of the notes sound good over every chord in a standard bluesbar, so even tonedeaf people can pretend to improvise. :P

Being one of those tonedeaf people, I find that at my skill level the pentatonics do sound better. An occasional note from the major or minor scale thrown in dosen't hurt either.
Eric

ReplyQuote