Notifications
Clear all

What to do next?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
(@legoman)
Topic starter  

I've written a few basic songs, but only using full chords and according to how it sounds. I know very little theory. I know the minor scale in all positions and the whole-step half-step thing. I would love to progress in my song writing but clearly need to know more theory. could someone please suggest where I could go to find out and learn what chords go together and about key changes? and how I would go about writing a solo. So basically, I would love to be shown which direction to go. And What to do next?

Thanks

Legoman

Close only counts in bowls and handgrenades.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

The story goes, as you may know, that Paul McCartney woke up with Yesterday in his head one morning. Ok - you may not like the song, but it is a great melody. Period. AFAIK he didn't know anything about music theory, let alone notes.

The points is - a good song is a good melody - or perhaps the other way around: a good melody *is* a good song. You need creativity rather than theory to come up with a good song IMO.

Then you could argue that in order to harmonize the melody you need some basic theory. That is probably true. Seems to be lots of good stuff on theory here at GN! But remember:don't drown your creativity in theory.

Then again, you should probably not be listening to my advice - have nver written anything close to being good myself! :(

Good luck!

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

The story goes, as you may know, that Paul McCartney woke up with Yesterday in his head one morning. Ok - you may not like the song, but it is a great melody. Period. AFAIK he didn't know anything about music theory, let alone notes.

The points is - a good song is a good melody - or perhaps the other way around: a good melody *is* a good song. You need creativity rather than theory to come up with a good song IMO.

Then you could argue that in order to harmonize the melody you need some basic theory. That is probably true. Seems to be lots of good stuff on theory here at GN! But remember:don't drown your creativity in theory.

Then again, you should probably not be listening to my advice - have nver written anything close to being good myself! :(

Good luck!

Lars

Good advice, but I have to disagree with the "don't drown your creativity in theory" comment, if I understand it correctly. If you're saying that theory and songwriting don't go together, then i strongly disagree, it's true that alot of songwriters never knew music theory, but it's also true that a number of great and original songwriters also knew their theory very well.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

I have to disagree with the "don't drown your creativity in theory" comment, if I understand it correctly. If you're saying that theory and songwriting don't go together, then i strongly disagree, it's true that alot of songwriters never knew music theory, but it's also true that a number of great and original songwriters also knew their theory very well.

Off course - the simple point was simply that theory as such does not make a song - it can be necessary but it is never sufficient. Non-creative characters like myself cannot construct a theoretical song that sounds (really) good - that is what separates art from handicraft isnt it?

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote