Clear all

What would you call this chord?

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm working on some music for a new song at the moment - the intro, played on acoustic guitar, is something like this:
Am7 ? Esus4 E
E--0--0---0---0
B--1--3---0---0
G--0--0---2---1
D--2--4---2---2
A--0--0---2---2
E--x--x---0---0

I'm wondering what the second chord in that sequence is....at first, I thought it would have been some variant of Bm7, but there's no root B note in it....then I realised the D major triad is there - D F# and A - along with the 9th (E) and the 11th(G.)
So would it be correct to call it a D(add9/add11) chord? And if so, would it be technically correct to call it D(add9/add11)/A as A is the bass note? I thought I had chord theory pretty well covered, but this one has me stumped....some variation of a D chord does seem likely to me, especially as it's between an A (well, a variant of) and an E chord......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

D6/9

Your notes are A (fifth), F# (third), G (sixth), D (root), and E (ninth)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I'll 2nd the 6/9.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Sorry guys, but how do you make G the sixth when A is the fifth?

I was reading the D scale as;

D (root) F# (3rd) A (5th)......that's the major triad.....and G as either the 4th or 11th, and E as either the 2nd or 9th - on the principle of stacked triads, it's root/3rd/5th/9th/11th in the scale of D - or am I missing something? (It wouldn't be the first time....!)

So I'm thinking, root, third, fifth, ADDED 9th (there's no b7th) and ADDED 11th.....?

Or would you just call it D11, on the principle that it's an extended chord and the b7 is understood/implied?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

D'oh... I figured too quick. G is the 11th (or 4th). So yeah, you could call it Dadd9/11.

You wouldn't call it a D11 though, because you can't imply a b7 - it has to be there to create the tritone with the third.

But you could imply a major 7th, and just call it Dmaj11.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Well, there you go.

My excuse ... ummm .. well . . I just looked at Note's breakdown 3rd, 5th, 6th, root, 9th and went "yeah, that's the notes that make up a 6/9 chord. I didn't actually look to see if he assigned stuff right :/

I'll blame the pain pills . . .

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

But check the context before naming it D maj 11. The implied major 7th interval (D-C#) suggests that a real C#, if it were present, wouldn't sound too out of place in this context. Is that the case, or would the note C# completely ruin the desired effect of your progression? If it does sound jarringly out of place, then don't imply it.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I think I'll go with Dadd9/11......just because it looks tidier than Dadd9/add11!

C#m might work there - even C#m7 - but I'm trying to create a "drone" effect by leaving (at least) the topE string open. You can see the song - with chords - in the SSG in my week 12 song, Stars, if you've nothing better to do. Thanks again for your help!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

After thought - so a maj11 chord would be 1-3-5-7-9-11? And some notes could be left out, like the 9th or the 7th? Dmaj11 is starting to sound nice.....

Vic

ReplyQuote