Clear all

Which Scale Pattern?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've got a bit of an odd chord progression going in a song I'm writing. One of the hazards of writing lyrics first and then deciding that they need to be really dynamic before proceeding to the music department of my home project studio.

The question is, which scale pattern would you bass you fills, leads and solos from? Here's the three sections. (A few times each, obviously)
Verses: A-Am-Dm-G-C-Am-E-A
Bridge or pre-chorus: A-Am-E-A A* (something still in "A", but maybe a 7th or sus..
Chorus: D-A-E

I've gone up and down the fret board in Minor Pentatonic mode and found Aminor and F#m to be pleasing. Not surprising after a quick glance to my handle little circle of 5ths picture I taped on my desk hutch years ago. Each do get lost, but I've played through it quite a few times to sort of have down what to play and what to not play. Expanding the pentatonic 1/2 a pattern each way seems to help add some musicality to it.

Anyone have any thoughts? Stay on course? Curious to hear anyone's take on this bit of an odd ball. This is what happens when I step out of X-bar Blues.... :mrgreen:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Am will work fine for the verses, right up until you hit the A major chord at the end. Take that opportunity to experiment with target tones - hit the C, slide up to C# and you've got a chord tone.

From that point, use A major (the same notes as F#m). Use either A or E as the target to get back into Am for the next verse - they're both in both scales. E will give you the sense that more is coming, A will give a sense of finality, so use that at the very end.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks again, NoteBoat. Going into the A-major works very well for that bit. Now if I can whip the rest of the song into shape..... :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote