Clear all

Why do they use the name A7 #9?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I was just going over a song I learned a few months back called Spooky. The chords in it are Em7, A13, Bbdim and the odd one called B7#9. So we have B D# F# A and add the sharp 9 which is D. I know it's a dissonant chord because you have a minor and major fighting one another. Could that chord be called Bm7add 3? In reality we don't know if it's a major chord being hit with a minor addition or vice versa. I'm guessing it's called A B7#9 because it's a shorter name than Bm7add3 or Bm7b11. Any ideas?

:?:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

For B7#9 you've got notes B-D-D#-F#-A.

You don't ever want to have two different notes of the same letter name - it makes standard notation very confusing. So you either have to call the D note Cx or you call the D# note Eb.

That gives you either:

B-D#-F#-A-Cx (1-3-5-b7-#9) or
B-D-F#-A-Eb (1-b3-5-b7-b11)

The problem with using b11 is that chords with an 11th have an implied 9th in the harmony - and you don't want C#. So you'd have to specify it's an added note.

So you could call it Bm7add(b11), but B7#9 is so much simpler.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

"The Hendrix Chord!" Yeah! Now I know what you're talking about! :lol:

(There's another I use a lot in open tunings. Made at the open position in Open D by fretting the third string on the first fret and the fifth string on the second fret, its a Dsus4 6th chord. But I call it the "Aberdeen Chord," 'cause it's used over and over in Booker White's "Aberdeen, Mississippi.")

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ah, got it. Thanks!!!

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@bford)
Reputable Member

Whoa. I think I'll crawl back to my corner now. After reading that I think it'll be awhile before I dabble in theory or even check out this part of the forum again :?
I'm sure that was just peanuts for those that know.

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Three years ago I had no clue about theory. Now I'm much better for asking questions here and reading David's articles. You have to start somewhere, right? Come by and check on some theory questions. If will help you for sure. I know a few players who know zero theory and know things would be easier with just a little helping of it.

ReplyQuote