Close
Skip to content

Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Why does D# sound so well when added to C# minor pentatonic?

(@mesmerized)
Topic starter  

Hello there,

I'm completely new here, so I hope I'm posting this question in the right section of the forum.

I've been trying to improvise a little bit over a simple chord progression: Amaj, Bmaj, C#min. Since I have no knowledge of scales other than major and pentatonic, I went for C# min pentatonic. I have two questions here...

1) Does C# minor pentatonic work over other chords in this progression? After all they are major chords (Amaj: A, E, C#; Bmaj: B, F#, D#). C# pentatonic consists of these sounds: C#, E, F#, G#, B, G#, so there is some overlap (except for G# and D#, all the other sounds can be found in either Amaj or Bmaj)

2) When I add D# to the mix... it sounds surprisingly well but I have no idea why...

I really don't know how to approach this whole thing. Should I be changing scales every time I'm improvising over a different chord?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you

HamrockGuitar
(@hamrockguitar)

The C# minor Pentatonic scale is an abbreviated 5 note version of the C# minor diatonic (7 note) scale, which D# is the 2nd scale degree of. You leave out the 2nd and b6th scale degrees from the minor diatonic to get the minor pentatonic. Hope that helps!

This post was modified 10 months ago by HamrockGuitar
This post was modified 4 months ago by Guitar Noise

ReplyQuote